Tell me this and tell me no more.

I
The tiles in question were being made in China by an ex-pat Frenchman. He told me that it is best that I call them 'Roof Tiles' to get them through UK customs. I put this to my UK agent and he refused to do it, saying he would lose his good name and credibility with customs, and that I would lose the consignment due to confiscation.

Back in the early 80's I was working with a company in Papua New Guinea that as a sideline used to import (or indent) certain things from China. Finding the duty on boots to be so much lower than that on thongs (or flip-flops if you must), the documentation post-realisation described said flip-flops as 'Japanese riding boots'. So, 5% rather than 25% duties. So much winning.

Governments keep mentioning free trade. I assume that means no import duty, or possibly no import/export duties. Brexit gives us a chance to at least have no import duties. But that might upset everyone else.
Back on thread, I think residents on the island of Ireland should be able to cross the border without a visa.
I think Leo is leaving it a little late to be thinking about borders and tariffs and things.
Amongst other countries this lot are not currently recruiting at all, it's almost as if an agreement has been reached on certain things that us poor people will not be told about (again).

Career opportunities
That is new entrants into the public sector.

They are looking for transfers within the public service.

Dublin Port is in the process of building additional Customs facilities as a direct result of BREXIT

Governments keep mentioning free trade. I assume that means no import duty, or possibly no import/export duties. Brexit gives us a chance to at least have no import duties. But that might upset everyone else.
Back on thread, I think residents on the island of Ireland should be able to cross the border without a visa.
Free trade doesn’t necessarily mean zero tariffs

That is new entrants into the public sector.

They are looking for transfers within the public service.

Dublin Port is in the process of building additional Customs facilities as a direct result of BREXIT
Forgot to mention also Irish Revenue (Customs) are upgrading their IT systems to allow it to process a 100-200% increase in the amount of SADs

Free trade doesn’t necessarily mean zero tariffs
He’s it does. Free trade is trade without tariffs, subsidies, quotas or other restrictions. The EU practices all four; import tariffs on non-EU goods, regional subsidies to prop up failing industry, quotas on farm products and regulations which go far beyond consumer protection to restrict access to EU markets.

I sincerely hope the UK tells the EU where to go on the Irish boarder issue and leaves an open North bound, tariff free boarder. The Republic can do what it wants, or rather what it’s EU masters bid. Stop southbound freedom of movement and who is the villain?

Trade is not a zero sum game; free north bound trade will still benefit the NI economy whatever goes south. We can then drive down our direct costs to Industry.by having a global leading business environment and watch globals migrate their HQs from business averse Europe to free trade. Titian. Ireland will remain in a moribund Eurozone, unable to grow fast because of strangling regulation.

No-one taxes exports; why would a country push up the sale price of its goods? Setting no import duties doesn’t upset everyone else either,it reduces the price of imports relative to domestic goods. That forces domestic manufacturers to drive efficiencies to compete.

The key to making it work is low business taxes so that businesses can invest in product development and automation. What we have now is tariff protected inefficient businesses propped up by cheap labour. We want more trade; a larger number of more efficient businesses which individually employ fewer people but those they do employ are more skilled.

The building bricks are there; language, access to finance, a generally skilled and educated workforce, top universities, entrepreneurism particularly amongst the young, good comma etc etc. Get rid of red tape and watch in soar.

He’s it does. Free trade is trade without tariffs, subsidies, quotas or other restrictions. The EU practices all four; import tariffs on non-EU goods, regional subsidies to prop up failing industry, quotas on farm products and regulations which go far beyond consumer protection to restrict access to EU markets.

I sincerely hope the UK tells the EU where to go on the Irish boarder issue and leaves an open North bound, tariff free boarder. The Republic can do what it wants, or rather what it’s EU masters bid. Stop southbound freedom of movement and who is the villain?

Trade is not a zero sum game; free north bound trade will still benefit the NI economy whatever goes south. We can then drive down our direct costs to Industry.by having a global leading business environment and watch globals migrate their HQs from business averse Europe to free trade. Titian.
All good
But then the EU, China, the USA.... everyone floods the UK market with foreign made goods and put UK manufacturers out of business

Ireland will remain in a moribund Eurozone, unable to grow fast because of strangling regulation.
Maybe you should tell the Irish economy
Ireland fastest growing economy in European Union again

All good
But then the EU, China, the USA.... everyone floods the UK market with foreign made goods and put UK manufacturers out of business
Which drives domestic industry to find efficiency and productivity whilst weeding out the inefficient. Basic supply side economics. Plus trade is not a zero sum game; imports create trade too. Plus the UK is already flooded with cheap commoditised goods and has been for decades. Plus the UK exports services and high added value products. Economics isn’t a strong suit is it?

Which drives domestic industry to find efficiency and productivity whilst weeding out the inefficient. Basic supply side economics. Plus trade is not a zero sum game; imports create trade too. Plus the UK is already flooded with cheap commoditised goods and has been for decades. Plus the UK exports services and high added value products. Economics isn’t a strong suit is it?
And zero import tarrifs would only increase cheap imports

All good

Maybe you should tell the Irish economy
Ireland fastest growing economy in European Union again
I challenge you to find anything for sale on the high street that isnt made in China. Go on try it. Apart from food, it's nigh on impossible. And for every item we buy in from outside the EU we have to pay the EU a percentage....think on that, every item.

I challenge you to find anything for sale on the high street that isnt made in China. Go on try it. Apart from food, it's nigh on impossible. And for every item we buy in from outside the EU we have to pay the EU a percentage....think on that, every item.

I bought some American mole wrenches recently… Made in China