• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Tell me this and tell me no more.

absolutely

But guess what that UK business that say was importing from the US (let’s say it is a distribution business) to the EU.

You think that business which could exclusively distribute within the EU..... will stay in business?
Of course it could. Assuming the highly likely zero tarriffing of US goods the UK dealership imports the us product and can sell it at tarrif free price in the UK and with EU tarrifs added in the EU. A dealership based in the EU would have to pay EU tarrifs on everything up front (including those destined for the UK) making the UK part of the European market less profitable.

Of course it could. Assuming the highly likely zero tarriffing of US goods the UK dealership imports the us product and can sell it at tarrif free price in the UK and with EU tarrifs added in the EU. A dealership based in the EU would have to pay EU tarrifs on everything up front (including those destined for the UK) making the UK part of the European market less profitable.
or a distributor could just base themselves in the EU. Pay any duty and move them freely to 27 countries.

or a distributor could just base themselves in the EU. Pay any duty and move them freely to 27 countries.
We are just over 20% of the US export market to the EU (now, before any tarrif disparity comes into play).

Why would anyone want to pay totally unnessary tarrifs on 20+% of their market? A UK distributor gets you to market tarrif free in the home market and costs you nothing extra in the EU market. An EU distributor bungs a load of tarrifs on 20% plus of your european market that you didn't need to pay.

Now I am no tax expert, my role has just been to fork out as much as the government want from my income. However, what seems blindingly apparent is we need to find a way for companies that operate in this country pay tax in this country. This business of companies franchising their own services and charging back to head office in a tax haven country at vastly inflated costs is to my mind avoidance at best, evasion at least and outright tax fraud. They do business here they pay tax here and send the balance back to their HQ
Businesses are taxed on profit not turnover though. The problem with that is deciding where the profits are generated.

Take Apple. Spend a grand on a Mac in London; how much of that profit is actually generated in the UK? It’s designed in the USA, manufactured in China, the software is developed in the US and the product support is in Ireland. The only bit that the UK contributes is the retail operation. So Apple are quite right to pay internal royalties to the various contributors and for that income to be taxed where it was generated.

One of the big opportunities that Brexit brings is to reset from the conventional tax model as we break from harmonisation. Perhaps going as far as getting rid of all supply side taxes (income, corporation etc) and only taxing demand (VAT, duty) side is a move too far although I could provide plenty of readings to justify that COA.

A more achievable construct would be a flat rate income tax and consumption taxes. I wouldn’t tax companies at all; tax dividends as income instead. And watch business invest in the UK....

UK PLC rid of a large unproducing,difficult parasite.
I think you're living in hope, I too hope, but I don't expect to be satisfied. The population of NI know who provides the money, turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

Last edited:
I think Leo is leaving it a little late to be thinking about borders and tariffs and things.
Amongst other countries this lot are not currently recruiting at all, it's almost as if an agreement has been reached on certain things that us poor people will not be told about (again).

Career opportunities

One of the big opportunities that Brexit brings is to reset from the conventional tax model as we break from harmonisation. Perhaps going as far as getting rid of all supply side taxes (income, corporation etc) and only taxing demand (VAT, duty) side is a move too far although I could provide plenty of readings to justify that COA.

A more achievable construct would be a flat rate income tax and consumption taxes. I wouldn’t tax companies at all; tax dividends as income instead. And watch business invest in the UK....
Yes yes yes. Fully agree Bob. Flat rate income tax (I recall that if we taxed everyone at 14% that’s all we would need) and consumption tax. Drop all duties, drop corporation tax, tax dividends.

Move the UK into being a dynamic 21C economy and leave the EU in the dust.

Again there is zero export tariffs from the EU (including UK)
Of course, no one taxes EXPORTS.....

It’s imports that are taxed, got to protect BMW and Renault, and those French wine makers.

Only it’s you paying for that protection - paying time. That’s why the EU will police the border. To protect its inefficient industries.

Of course, no one taxes EXPORTS.....

It’s imports that are taxed, got to protect BMW and Renault, and those French wine makers.

Only it’s you paying for that protection - paying time. That’s why the EU will police the border. To protect its inefficient industries.

You mean like those 10% tariffs the EU imposed on Japanese cars made outside the EU?
Couldn't possibly be intended to protect EU car makers?

Oh wait! After the deal to scrap them, EU car makers now want them phased out over 10 years!

You mean like those 10% tariffs the EU imposed on Japanese cars made outside the EU?
Couldn't possibly be intended to protect EU car makers?

Oh wait! After the deal to scrap them, EU car makers now want them phased out over 10 years!
Yep, that’s how the EU protects its inefficient industries, and you pay the 10% out of your pocket to prop them up, or buy their product. It’s criminal.

Which is why they voted to stay in the EU ;)
NI received £6m last year from the EU. They're really going to miss that amount of cash after Brexit. Yup. There'll be another famine, pestilence and I foresee several plagues too....

https://www.quora.com/How-much-do-S...ce=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa
main-qimg-f864fef71ab1cc5f48176efd529b2370.png

How much money does Northern Ireland really get from the EU? says:
"NI sent £374m to Brussels.
In return it received £320m from the EU's common agricultural fund, fisheries fund, and the jobs, growth and investment initiative.
A special peace and cross-border fund also added some £50m. Science, education and research funds were worth an extra £10m.
This adds up to a total return of £380m on the £374m contribution."

Bear in mind that the GDP of Eire is around £270bn compared to the UK's of £1.86 trillion.

Last edited:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Reasons this won't happen in order of importance: -
The RoI can't afford the subsidies the mainland UK bungs NI.
Neither FG or FD want a lot of new SF TDs, the DUP ones would probably be less of a problem as they would never expand their voter base.
The Guarda couldn't contain DUP riots let alone UVF/UDA terrorism.
The guards do very well at riot control. Should they become in any involved in controlling DUP inspired riots, I could see them doing even ‘weller’.

The guards do very well at riot control. Should they become in any involved in controlling DUP inspired riots, I could see them doing even ‘weller’.
An Garda Síochána are the most corrupt and ineffective Police Farce in Europe.
They are a laughing stock in the RoI and synonymous with utter corruption and incompetence.
So many of its officers are so clueless, Its a wonder they can even find their own arses to wipe!

Norn Ireland has always had a rather competent armed Police, I'm sure you would enjoy unarmed Keystone Kops that run away when kids make faces at them.

Governments keep mentioning free trade. I assume that means no import duty, or possibly no import/export duties. Brexit gives us a chance to at least have no import duties. But that might upset everyone else.
Back on thread, I think residents on the island of Ireland should be able to cross the border without a visa.

NI received £6m last year from the EU. They're really going to miss that amount of cash after Brexit. Yup. There'll be another famine, pestilence and I foresee several plagues too....

https://www.quora.com/How-much-do-S...ce=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa
View attachment 331965

How much money does Northern Ireland really get from the EU? says:
"NI sent £374m to Brussels.
In return it received £320m from the EU's common agricultural fund, fisheries fund, and the jobs, growth and investment initiative.
A special peace and cross-border fund also added some £50m. Science, education and research funds were worth an extra £10m.
This adds up to a total return of £380m on the £374m contribution."

Bear in mind that the GDP of Eire is around £270bn compared to the UK's of £1.86 trillion.
Try again

NI is getting € 3.5 BILLION between 2014 and 2020
https://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/...u_funding_in_ni_2007-2013_and_2014-2020_1.pdf

But of course Westminster will not have to replace all of it

The ROI in all its manifestations,Eire,Free State. whatever. They dealt with dissent a lot more robustly that we ever did. I recall a H blocks demo getting the good news in the 80s, and less said about the England football 'fans' in the 90s, the better.;)