• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Tell me this and tell me no more.

But @Guns post was about importing to a post EU UK wasn't it? If the USA imports to the U.K. post Brexit, then us moving it to the EU should have the same taxes as USA importing to Germany?

Perhaps I missed the point!
In theory yes, but if the goods arrive duty free in the UK and are exported duty free its up to the EU to tax the transaction. That means EU taxes at the border. The UK wouldn't give a flying fig, not our problem ......

We’ve been down this route before, remember when everything imported into RoI attracted huge duty, and what was the ‘solution’?

Huge amounts of cross border avd cross Irish Sea smuggling.

With the RoI pay for a recreation of the Iron Curtain to close the border this time?
Ah but there is the problem!

It is an international border between GB & NI and Ireland.

It will be a Customs border between GB & NI and the EU

The "workable border" isn't the UK's problem. Tough sh1t on the EU if its cheaper to buy via the UK. Its the EU's problem. They can fix it.

And if the Irish don't like it they can complain to the EU.
So you UK PLC wants to stop exporting to Ireland??

Maybe it would be better to get your own land border between the RoI/NI sorted out with a workable solution. As opposed to flexing the grey matter on a hypothetical and not too believable scenario.
Just a thought.
Except it isn’t mutually exclusive with the overall Customs relationship with the EU

So you UK PLC wants to stop exporting to Ireland??
Quite the opposite, but the UK wants/needs/must sell at globally competitive prices, not at artificial EU prices intended to protect inefficient EU workers.

I can do this via diagrams if it helps, or I can start quoting from thousands of research papers, books etc on the subject of tariff removal.

It may soon be in the RoI.
Reasons this won't happen in order of importance: -
The RoI can't afford the subsidies the mainland UK bungs NI.
Neither FG or FD want a lot of new SF TDs, the DUP ones would probably be less of a problem as they would never expand their voter base.
The Guarda couldn't contain DUP riots let alone UVF/UDA terrorism.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Neither FG or FD want a lot of new SF TDs, the DUP ones would probably be less of a problem as they would never expand their voter base.
The last bit is covered - the EU Army would step in to fill the role played by the British army during BANNER! :cool:

In theory yes, but if the goods arrive duty free in the UK and are exported duty free its up to the EU to tax the transaction. That means EU taxes at the border. The UK wouldn't give a flying fig, not our problem ......
I am sure I have missed the point so apologies, I thought this was brought up as a problem for Brexit. If the exporting company in the US is sending stuff to the U.K. For free customs tariffs knowing they will be onward shipped to the EU without paying taxes, then surely this is illegal?

The fact it is illegal should be enough of a deterrent. If and when we do random inspections and find companies breaking the law then it's up to whoever to prosecute, the U.K. Prosecuting the onward shipping agent and the country of origin prosecuting the export company?

It's no different to how all laws work including the difference in VAT and other local charges on certain goods i.e. Booze cruises?

I am sure I have missed the point so apologies, I thought this was brought up as a problem for Brexit. If the exporting company in the US is sending stuff to the U.K. For free customs tariffs knowing they will be onward shipped to the EU without paying taxes, then surely this is illegal?
Why do you think this is illegal? It is the responsibility of the country imposing duties to police it.

All true, but Veradkar thinks he’s playing with Aces as the EUs Beat the English point man.

He may get what he isn’t expecting.

'UVF/UDA terrorism'? Do You think the 'Brigadiers' could step away from their drug dealing and extortion to run a viable insurgency,with the material they'd have to prosecute it with? I think the writings on the wall over there, (no pun intended) 'nationalists' are going to out breed 'unionists ' in the next few years by all accounts. The only hope for real unionists,is that I suspect a substantial portion of the catholic community would quietly rather stay in the UK. But I reckon within the next 10 -20 years, Ireland unified. Back in EU (g-d help them), and UK PLC rid of a large unproducing,difficult parasite.

'UVF/UDA terrorism'? Do You think the 'Brigadiers' could step away from their drug dealing and extortion to run a viable insurgency,with the material they'd have to prosecute it with? I think the writings on the wall over there, (no pun intended) 'nationalists' are going to out breed 'unionists ' in the next few years by all accounts. The only hope for real unionists,is that I suspect a substantial portion of the catholic community would quietly rather stay in the UK. But I reckon within the next 10 -20 years, Ireland unified. Back in EU (g-d help them), and UK PLC rid of a large unproducing,difficult parasite.

And not a single fornicate will be given on the mainland when it’s gone.

Quite the opposite, but the UK wants/needs/must sell at globally competitive prices, not at artificial EU prices intended to protect inefficient EU workers.

I can do this via diagrams if it helps, or I can start quoting from thousands of research papers, books etc on the subject of tariff removal.
Again there is zero export tariffs from the EU (including UK)

absolutely

But guess what that UK business that say was importing from the US (let’s say it is a distribution business) to the EU.

You think that business which could exclusively distribute within the EU..... will stay in business?