TELIC decided in July 2002

Discussion in 'Iraq (Op TELIC)' started by BuggerAll, May 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I don’t suppose it will be any surprise to any ARRSErs that Tony had decided on war in July 2002. I don’t have a problem with that. Given the sort of rabble he leads in the Labour Party he was always going to have to lie to them to keep them on board – that’s political reality – not nice but grown up.

What I object to is that although the decision had been taken the Armed Forces were not allowed to plan and organise properly for TELIC. People were killed who would not have been killed if we had had 8 months beat up. People suffered major psychological trauma because they went to war without the proper kit, because the Op did not have as much beat up time as it could have had.

And with 8 months of planning we could have got the post war phase a lot better.

2. I think that is an absolutely key point for us. Also, according to some reports the date when the decision was taken may not have been July 2002, but as early as April.

I try not to criticise the Government politically, but I have yet to see an explanation as to why prudent military preparations did not start much earlier. There were plenty indications at the time that the situation with Iraq was ratcheting up. A bit more contingency planning and preparation would not have damaged genuine military OPSEC, and I believe that a majority of the population would have accepted prudent preparations relatively soon after 9-11 and operations in Afghanistan.

From a military point of view, another highly unfortunate effect of these events is that the British public will never be as supportive of contingency preparations in the future, and will be particularly sceptical of intelligence-based warnings even if well-founded.

3. Taken from the Sunday Times

The level of Pooh just continues to get deeper :evil:

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

The BBC mentioned on the news that "The Prime Minister Tony Blair has been defending his integrity......"

I wonder what the basis of his argument will be.