telescopic cased rounds work according to US Army...

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Yeoman_dai, May 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where's all the heat going to go if it's not thrown out with the brass?

2. What the **** are they going to throw on the floor instead to be picked up??

• Like Like x 7
  3. I more worried with the fact that a lighter round means you just carry more, so benefit of more rounds but still the weight.

4. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

5. 'tis... Which is interesting as I wonder how the yanks are making it work where ze Germans didn't..

6. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

I thought the G11 was a technical success... Just a victim of market circumstance, as is so often the case with technically good products...

7. You're worried about carrying more ammunition for the same weight? You clearly haven't deployed recently!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cased telescoped rounds. Not caseless.

9. Yanks have used plastic for their blanks for quite some time, same with their simunition. I first encountered it in about 97. Of course that is for training, and although rates of fire can be intense it is over quite quickly.

I'd be interested to know what sort of trials this weapon has been exposed to. the trials that the L85 and L86 A2 varients were beasted on were very thorough and harsh, but (from what I remember of the Soldier article) the A1 variants trials were fcuking pitiful. Something like 1 mag in an hour on a stand in an indoor range...

This weapon is a support weapon, so has it been lobbed on the deck in the Arizona summer or Alaskan winter and had 5 minutes rapid and 20 minutes deliberate?

In fact, has the weapon been put in a vice and fired to catostrphic failure at either rate?

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Caseless rds work in a Sp wpn ?

It's hardly news.

11. And the Russians, Americans and British in the 70s. Strangely, they all kept the conventional cased ammunition.
    Give us a ring when it works properly, OK?

12. I would not trust anything the Americans built that the Germans put to the side as it was a bit iffy, esp a gun ffs. The americans have trouble enough keeping the BANG part of a round in check without handing them something that has a hell of a lot more chance of developing a mind of its own under intense use.

13. Perhaps I wasn't being clear enough due to being a mong, this round and weapon system isn't going to make an infantryman's load any lighter.