Telephone Service

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by evertonluke, Feb 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Our Mess currently pays approx £450 per year for the hire of a BT Payphone. In the last year about £150 was collected from it. It is not in the best location and most members unsuprisingly use their mobiles.
    The problem is that the signal on all networks in very poor in most parts of the building and for that reason the RSM would like to keep the payphone as a service to the Mess. He has suggested looking at reducing the rental but BT are not interested.
    I have considered the idea of changing the payphone to a business line but BT do not offer call plans or a barring service and so that is not ideal. Does anybody know if as we are on an MOD site we are obliged to stay with BT? or has anybody had a a similiar issue in their Mess for which they have found a cheaper alternative?
  2. There's an option to buy a private payphone and a box to protect the phone socket from people trying to screw you for free calls and you have your own kit for securing a standard telephone line.

    All you need to do then is send BT their rip off kit back and have the phone line changed to one for domestic use only (mess accm is a lodging facility and not a business) and save yourselves a few quid like that.
  3. I'm liking the sound of this, thanks for the reply. My only concern is regarding changing the line to a domestic only, I have been told that we cannot have a domestic line for the same reason we cannot have a sky dish without paying out for a commercial version, like the pubs have to. Would the domestic line have to be registered to a named individual and not the Mess?