Telephone Scam

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by POGscribbler, Feb 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shamelessly snaffled of another forum I frequent :D

Notification of Telephone Scam
    My husband, a Hereford Magistrate, received this via the Herefordshire Magistrates court who have issued this warning. It seems that people involved with Justice are possibly being targetted.

Quote: account by: Raymond Rowe JP

A new telephone 'scam' has arrived. I received a call from a 'representative' of BT, informing me that he
    was disconnecting me because of an unpaid bill. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 , or it would be £118.00 to reconnect at a later date.

The chap wasn't fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, not BT - he replied that BT get paid a percentage for line rental and that I should know that!

I asked the chap's name - his name was a very 'English', namely John Peacock and he had a very

'African' accent - phone number - 0800 0800 152......

Obviously the fella realized I wasn't believing his story, so he offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how and he told me to hang up and try phoning someone - he would disconnect my phone to
    prevent this.

AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again. Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made and he said by CREDIT CARD .....

I replied that I didn't know how he'd done it, but that I had absolutely no intention of paying him , nor that believed that his name was Peacock or that he worked for BT.
    He hung up.

I did a 1471 and phoned his fictitious 0800 number - it was NOT RECOGNISED.

I phoned the police to let them know and found out that I wasn't the first! I was told It was a scam and it only just started to escalate.
    Their advice was to let as many people as possible know about this scam.

The fact that the scam merchants are able to close down the phone would probably convince some people it's real - so please inform your contacts.

The scam merchant may be good but he was not that clever - he gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800152 which takes you through to BT Business. The cutting off of a telephone line is very simple. .... the scam merchant stays ON LINE with the mute button on and consequently you can't dial out - but he can hear you trying. When you stop trying he cuts his own line and then calls back immediately.

It's sad but it's that simple that and it could fool the elderly and vulnerable.

Pass this message on and be on your guard.

2. Because he hadn't hung up you couldn't dial out, the line was still open to him.
  3. 'kin' just about to say that!!!

Have a look at "" for all your true or not scams, hoaxes, threats etc.

4. Or Snope's is fairly good.
  5. Also heard another good one.

Anyone can set up a premium phoneline and charge wahtever they want. Individual does so and usually a well dressed female knocks on your day explaining that her car has broken down and could she phone her husband to come pick her up. You allow her to use the phone and she thanks you with a big smile on her face. It's not until you get the bill that you realise how much you have been charged.

The other scenario is when a courier turns up at a business with a parcel, the address does not match and they ask to use your phone for instructions. They spend about 10 minutes on there. Nice little earner for them
  6. You've just given me the idea of getting a premium-rate phone number, and then giving it to HMRC as my contact details. Oooooh, that would be fun - keep them talking on the line, and watch my hard-earned money drain back out of their clutches...
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

hey were warning people about the BT one a while ago
    Apparentlt BT will never ask you for money over the phone
  9. Was certainly true with the old electro-magnetic telephone system but I don't think happens with new digital systems. Also as the implication is that it is being done from abroad then that's another reason for me to think that it's just another e-mail myth.
  10. I never get bollox least, not repeat ones :roll: :twisted:
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Golly Gosh!!! I feel your pain, I really do.

Do you have a tenner, yes?

Look. I have three cards. You see the Queen, yes? Now, we turn them over. We shuffle them slowly.

Spot the Lady. Place bet now.
  12. It's the one on the left! My tenner is safe!
  13. TheIronDuke

And we have a lucky winner!!!

Gosh, you are sharp. You've played this game before, eh? Heh. Lets up the ante to £50? Just for fun.

You dont happen to know any Hereford Magistrates do you?

14. that was a good idea and then you just told all those civil servants on here about it

now they are going to tax you on your earnings oh dear
    the lesson from this is keep all really good moneymaking ideas to yourself
  15. TheIronDuke

When was the last time you had a money making idea? Heres one.

Setup a premium rate number. Attach it to a fax. Next time some tosser rings you at work flogging gas/hotels/magazine ad space/children...

Ask them to fax you with full details.

Oldies but goldies.

*All revenue earned from money making scams should be declared to HMRC or the Baby Jesus has a fit*