Telephone conversation taped

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by asmallbrownduck, Sep 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am in dispute with a garage over a car they are trying to sell me.
    To get to the point the General Manager of the firm dealership called me yesterday to discuss my complaint.
    About 10-15 minutes into the conversation he said something like:
    "that’s not what you said earlier, do you want me to rewind the tape and play it back to you?"
    I was astonished. I thought it was illegal to tape conversations without informing the other party or (obviously) if it were a matter of a Police investigation or a State Security.
    I don't like the thought of this chap picking apart my conversation to choose what to present if it all goes legal.
    I thought it just a chat in order to find a suitable solution.

Anyone know if it is Kosher to tape conversations without prior warning?

Quack

2. The way i understand it is they have to inform you that they are recording your conversation. Thats why when you phone up a large company i.e. xerox (last one i had dealing with) they say at the end of the message "your call may be monitored for training purposes"

3. Should have said okay play it back. He might have been bluffing. It is my understanding that they have to inform you if you are being recorded. If you haven't bought the car then tell them to get stuffed as you don't like the way they do business. Either that or send the boys round.

4. as far as I understand it, they do NOT have to inform you, but DO have to inform you if they intend using the tape......which is tantamount to having to inform you, otherwise why bother, so get your lawyer to call him and put the wind up him for not informing you, get the lawyer to say something like " we are looking at this as potential alleged obtaining money by deception" and you will soon get a more frindly after sales service

5. Have a look at Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000

6. Worth thinking about, this bit is about the Met Police boss recently:

The position is largely governed by the Human Rights Act, which ensures the right to respect private and family life, home and correspondence; the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA), which regulates the interception of communications and the surveillance of people and premises; and the Data Protection Act (DPA), which covers how personal data is used and stored.

According to Fiona Caskey, an Associate with Pinsent Masons, the law firm behind OUT-LAW.COM, since Lord Goldsmith was not aware that the conversation was being recorded it is possible that the recording was unlawful under RIPA and in breach of the first principle of the DPA.

7. I stand corrected then, ignore my bit above

8. I once took a case to the Investigatory Powers Tribunal. Load of w****rs.
    They claim to be independent of the Government but not one case has ever been upheld to date. It took them 7 months to give me a yes or no.

I have been fortunate to get a review in October, No holding my breathe there!.