Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Jockster915, Nov 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys not sure if this in right topic but seeing as how it may affect my parting with cash I think it is.

Anyway I am currently on TKS Telephone/DSL (1MB) in Germany and have been approached by a company called 'Alice' who I believe are part of Telefonica Italia.

They claim they can offer a flat rate for calls in Germany and Europe and DSL between 3-5MB (due to location) for 45 euros a month. This includes all calls made in Germany and Germany - UK (I don't phone anywhere else) and no contract.

Anyone else heard of or have this package as it seems too good to be true. For info currently paying average of 70 euros a month.

I would be willing to consider other options if anyone can suggest but not T Com due to a previous issue with them i.e. they were pish.

Thanks in advance.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator 5 years no problems, T com I took to court and won...
  3. A mate of mine had Alice and swore by it, however, when he moved pad's they fcuked him over royaly.

I with TCom and have had no problems with far!
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Arcor - also helpful, no problems and good price. Germany - everything works, not like good 'ol UK. boring eh?
  5. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

haven't heard of any problems with alice - some of my friends got it

some local provider are fine either - depends on where you are in germany
    i would recommend teleos - but only if you're in the bielefeld/osnabrück region ;)
  6. I have got 1und1 as my provider, they are not bad, a bit cheaper than T-Com, but you can;t just walk into the shop if you need. I am moving early next year so I will see how good they are at cutting me off.

I am off to TKS next though when I move to Elmpt, the English service sounds good to me and as my German is not the best I think it's worth paying more for that plus they have a walk in shop in JHQ.

I also use MIDAS for the calls to the UK, which works out less than €8 a month for all UK Calls (which are not that frequent, as we use MSN/SKYPE more often). Avoid Freenet though - drama merchants from all accounts.
  7. I am just signing up with Unitymedia ( to provide me with basic internet at 20 euro/month , this is the main cable tv provider for NRW.I don't need a land line because I spend about 75% of my time working in Switzerland.I also don't need a download speed of more than 2Mb/s. For non-mobile telephoning I am looking at a VoIP service like . Mobile phones are starting to come out with VoIP clients on them so I reckon in 2 years I will just be doing VoIP calls.
  8. Naa, Arcor fecked me over - not Alice. The final problem was when Arcor would not release the telephone number to Alice because I had allegedly signed a new 2 year contract with them - which I had not: I only filled in a change of address form.

Never had problems with Arcor until I moved houses (4 streets away), but Alice's customer services are tonk.

I am threaders with them all. They all lie (proven when I called them about line speeds and contractual questions) and are happy to take your money from you, but never give it back, even when they state they are wrong.

9. I wouldn't touch TKS with a barge-pole, said they could provide a service but never turned up. Did it all through T-Com in the end with no probs at all! 8)
  10. I use Versatel and I is in Bielefeld! They have been brilliant; had the account for about 3 years now, even moved house with them. Well, not with them but with the contract...billox, ramble ramble ramble.
  11. I have been with t-com a few years now no probs whatsoever, got a 6mb connection and calls to uk are cheap, never had a bill over 60 euro's.
    Thats 'alice' sounds good, go for it. Anything got be better than a 1mb connection
  12. yet another reason why germany is pish....i'm with BT, 8Mb, £11.99 a month....
  13. Goon couldn't agree more just waiting on my contract to finish next month.

14. Crappy internet service isn't a reason to hate Germany, but it can frustrate a lot. I have to admit, being in UK is cheaper for Internet, telephone, etc. Even though I haven't got the best connection speed in the world, Sky's free broadband offer is hard to knock.