Telepest calls to my mobile

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Recce19, Apr 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Keep getting calls from this number, 02070985550. Having googled it, it seems it's a company group called Claims Group Direct Ltd and are calling at least twice every day including weekends! I never answer as I have nothing to do with them.

As my phone is on the UK mobile network, is there anything I can do to to stop these calls?
  2. Just answer it and speak in very bad english. They will soon get bored and stop calling
  3. Register your number on the Telephone Preferencial Service website here:

It will take a few weeks to kick in but you should notice a drop in the number of telepest calls.

The best way to deal with the telepest is to tell them you are not interested and that you are instructing them to remove your details from their database. As it is private data about you, you have the right to have them remove it from their systems. Be very careful though. Whenever you sign up for anything or fill in any form that contains your personal details, you must tick the box stating that you do not want your details to be passed onto third parties or be used for marketing, otherwise they take this as consent by ommision.

Hope that this helps.

4. I get a couple of calls a week from Galaxy Finance (yes its an Indian call centre). They drive me nuts.
  5. If you read the comments in the link I put in my first post, it seems that:

a) They hang up when a call is answered.
    b) They don't answer when called back.
    c) Some have stated that even when registered with TPS it has no effect!

I asked my service provider (Vodafone) if they couldblock the number, but apparently they can't. :x

Edited to add: I've just registered my UK mobile with TPS, so thanks foranything that can help!
  6. i never answer, and if i do because i think it could be a genuine call it goes along these lines:

TP:"Hello Mr S******, we are a...."

Me:"not interested bye"

had an interesting one a few years ago, hardcore flirting with me all the way she was. didn't work for her in the end though. ;)
  7. Ish, thanks very much for that.
  8. I keep getting calls from my RSM telling me to stop posting shite on t'Internet.
  9. It seems that it's only illegal for UK based call centres to phone you. The Telephone Preference Service is only of partial value.

10. Can you for once just listen then :meditate: :D
  11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Take the call and do this.

Oooo thats sounds very interesting tell me more ... oh hang on a second just need to get ( the kids out of the garden, ferret out of the rabbit hutch or any such exscuse) and put the phone down, leave it for five minutes and see if they are still hanging on, it'll cost a fair old whack .
  12. Just pretend your deaf have them shout down the phone and keep getting them to repeat themselves they will soon get infuriated trust me on this
  13. If you read my earlier post, I mentioned that they just hang up immediately. Also trying to keep them hanging on is not an option, as my UK mobile is on roaming charges and so would cost me an arm and a leg!

Thanks for the suggestions though. :D
  14. Ok then get that number and any others you can find for them and start filling out online marketing surveys be sure to tick the box asking for them to call you with promotions see how they like it
  15. Now that is a good idea! :judge: