Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telegraph: "Royal Navy To Halve Number Of Staff At Headquarters, As Sailors Are Redeployed To Front Line Roles"

Realistically that’s all we have, Junior rates, Senior Rates and Officers. Oiler’s, 2/3rd class engineers and chief engineers in the merchant navy system.

it was always a source of wonder to RN escapees the sensible and very functional MN system.

The whole thing smacks of utter desperation. Can you imagine somebody such as the Tesco CE announcing that he was going to redeploy 500-odd people to the area in their store where they could deliver best effect? It's normal business and something that should happen as a matter of course, not as a specific project.

The RN really is scraping the bottom of the talent barrel if this is the best they can come up with.

Did you tell him to **** off?
Might have said something like that! In all seriousness though, my organisation is now having a seriously difficult time in wresting control back from the CS to a military CoC that the CS supports, instead of the other way round.

It's like dealing with the Yakuza!

The whole thing smacks of utter desperation. Can you imagine somebody such as the Tesco CE announcing that he was going to redeploy 500-odd people to the area in their store where they could deliver best effect? It's normal business and something that should happen as a matter of course, not as a specific project.

The RN really is scraping the bottom of the talent barrel if this is the best they can come up with.
I'm not sure that that isn't exactly what Tesco did about five years ago? Only they called it "reapplying for you own job" or being sent elsewhere if you failed the selection process.

Not that I am arguing against the broader point of your post.

ETA: Whilst 1SL looks at sending desk navigators back to sea, 2SL is limiting most FTRS posts to twelve months in an attempt to ensure that we don't end up back where we started.

Yokel

LE
I'm not sure that that isn't exactly what Tesco did about five years ago? Only they called it "reapplying for you own job" or being sent elsewhere if you failed the selection process.

ETA: Whilst 1SL looks at sending desk navigators back to sea, 2SL is limiting most FTRS posts to twelve months in an attempt to ensure that we don't end up back where we started.

I thought the reason most FTRS posts had been limited to twelve months then reapply was due to the way the self selecting FTRS mafia encourages toxic behaviours and overlooking such behaviours in others? The fact that this move is taking place at the same time as other measures suggests that the issue has been noticed.

D

Deleted 3147

Not sure limiting FTRS will do that. They are used to fill voids we can't with regulars, they provide SQEP CS can't. In the new model we're going to recruit more CS. That's the way ahead.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
In the new model we're going to recruit more CS. That's the way ahead.

At risk of extreme cynicism, good luck with that - are you looking for any particular skills, or just carbon-based life forms?

D

Deleted 3147

At risk of extreme cynicism, good luck with that - are you looking for any particular skills, or just carbon-based life forms?
An entire spectrum of skills, in S&T, CapDev, Acquisition and In-Service capability management.

Not sure limiting FTRS will do that. They are used to fill voids we can't with regulars, they provide SQEP CS can't. In the new model we're going to recruit more CS. That's the way ahead.

SQEP! Get with the programme you dinosaurs!
We apparently need young, vibrant, motivated, agile, Graduate qualified digital natives!

We had one just quit, didn't even last a year, a newly minted direct from University C2 - proper little snowflake, she needed a job with 'more flexibility' to walk her doggie during the day.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
An entire spectrum of skills, in S&T, CapDev, Acquisition and In-Service capability management.

Is the current recruitment offer the same as it was recently, of saying "we'll pay you half to two-thirds of what industry offer, oh and there you'd get pay rises and a chance of promotion but we think those are wasteful luxuries... why are we not getting good candidates beating down our door"?

The talent does exist - but these day's it's bought in from elsewhere through ASC or, soon, ASTRID because so little of it has hung around for the joys of Civil Service life. (And it's not cheap, especially since you're paying not only market rate for talent, but CORDA's admin charges and the overhead costs of assuring you get as much as possible of what you wanted, not merely what you put in the Statement of Requirements...)

Is the current recruitment offer the same as it was recently, of saying "we'll pay you half to two-thirds of what industry offer, oh and there you'd get pay rises and a chance of promotion but we think those are wasteful luxuries... why are we not getting good candidates beating down our door"?

well, £31k sounds like a decent starting salary for a bright young 20something year old.... I’m a C2! A ‘Programme manager! Gosh!
...then a cynical 60 year old tells them that they’ll still be on that below inflation pay rise adjusted in 30 years time.

cue.... tapity, tap tap, www.indeed.co.uk

I prepare to be corrected on this, but the USSR is the only example I can think of. They did away with formal recognition of ranks (ie calling people “sir”) and shoulder boards for rank recognition.
I think both were reinstated in 1942 as the Soviets realised that a general chit-chat about objectives followed by a show of hands wasn’t going to win a war.
Didn't the PLA have a bash at it in the fifties ? And eventually came to the same conclusion

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My overall view is that we've tried incremental change, we've tried "steadying the ship" and it's made the square root of f*ck all difference. Blow it up, lets see what happens. It can't be any worse than being told that manning balance is just "7 years away, we're nearly bottoming out" for at least four years in a row...

Bang on.

I'm sure we've mentioned on here before that we'd like to see the services cut their HQs and staff posts by around 50% because then we'll see what actually needs to be done rather than doing things simply to keep everyone busy. Credit to the RN for actually doing that.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I prepare to be corrected on this, but the USSR is the only example I can think of. They did away with formal recognition of ranks (ie calling people “sir”) and shoulder boards for rank recognition.
I think both were reinstated in 1942 as the Soviets realised that a general chit-chat about objectives followed by a show of hands wasn’t going to win a war.

The Worker's Party of Marxist Unification, in the Spanish Civil War, rejected bourgeoise concepts of rank and authority: decisions were made by consensus and agreement. You obeyed an order only after it had been explained in detail; you could refuse if it didn't make sense or you didn't like it.

They lost, and were pretty thoroughly massacred, and then Stalin finished off the survivors. But the other side were a bunch of reactionary fascists, so the POUM won the argument and the moral case... just not the war...

(That was the group George Orwell served in, and described in Homage to Catalonia)

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
SQEP! Get with the programme you dinosaurs!
We apparently need young, vibrant, motivated, agile, Graduate qualified digital natives!

We had one just quit, didn't even last a year, a newly minted direct from University C2 - proper little snowflake, she needed a job with 'more flexibility' to walk her doggie during the day.
Ah, therein, choosing the correct bit of the CS is the key. I can and do bring my dogs to work. They are welcomed and get a walk out of it (as long as they are on leads).

The Worker's Party of Marxist Unification, in the Spanish Civil War, rejected bourgeoise concepts of rank and authority: decisions were made by consensus and agreement. You obeyed an order only after it had been explained in detail; you could refuse if it didn't make sense or you didn't like it.

They lost, and were pretty thoroughly massacred, and then Stalin finished off the survivors. But the other side were a bunch of reactionary fascists, so the POUM won the argument and the moral case... just not the war...

(That was the group George Orwell served in, and described in Homage to Catalonia)
And you are right, and I feel foolish, as I had been reading Orwell just before.
Just in his war diaries: he felt silly about the whole thing, and knew straight away that men with astonishing bravery would be giving it up for nothing. As a former colonial policeman, he knew the score. Others joined with the same ideals, but the same faith?

Latest Threads