Telegraph: "Liam Fox attacks £2bn tank deal"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by soleil, Mar 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting point from Dr Fox. Aside from his criticism of the present government for signing up to such a deal ahead of the SDR, do civil servants - and presumably senior officers, by the same token - have a constitutional duty to refuse instructions from Ministers of this nature when a General Election is in the offing? Discuss.
  2. I suppose it would be difficult for a senior officer to comment, the army is being offered equipment what can they say? No we don't want it?
  3. There was a prog on radio 4 about this last week. They were talking about hung parliaments and what the CS should do. It was implied that the government should not make an big decision that may role over to the next government. But has an election been announced yet?
  4. I wonder if this will be incorporated:

Star Trek-style force-field armour being developed by military scientists

5. Am I the only one seriously concerned about this quote from Dr. Fox:

"We have to have a rigorous debate about what we absolutely need to be able to do in Britain, what we would like to do if we had lots of money, and what we don't really need to do here," he said.

Very deep cuts incoming. BOHICA.
  6. Utter sh1te, CVRT cannot go on forever! Just because there will be an election this year does not mean that all EP projects and procurement decisions must be frozen. FRES Scout will happen regardless of the SDR because CVRT and its successor are an obvious capability that is required regardless of theatre. From 1982 to today, less Sierra Leone and East Timor they have been in every theatre (I stand by to be corrected on this).
  7. Can someone explain what is so good about FRES, It's going to be a few years before it comes into service. Is it a magical vehicle that the Army has with held to find out how crap our actuall vehicles are.IE 'We wont push for better vehicles in case it interfers with our next brainwave

Or will it deploy into The Fulda Gap to withstand hordes of communists.
    Can it be deployed in a conventional war, or can it be deployed in a COIN War.

I'm sure everyone has an opinion, I'm also sure that somebody in The MOD has blood on their hands for deploying the likes of Snatch BV10s and Pinzguer in the most heavily mined country in the world.

Some knob before he had blood on his hands.
  8. Nope. Not in the slightest. I would presume some degree of care to be taken if the manifesto for any potential serious next government stated that the project would be cancelled - ID cards, for example (not that we've actually seen anybodies manifesto yet) but this could be taken in to consideration by including appropriate cancellation clauses in any contract.

Purdah is a (perfectly reasonable) tradition - but it isn't part of the constitutional duty either. And it only reflects public statements not the continuing work of government.

Frankly, if that's the sort of understanding of the British constitutional settlement we have in somebody who will be a Cabinet Minister come May 7th, then we are in for a rough time while they learn that they aren't in opposition any more.

By the way:

Sorry, exactly what is "British" about BAE, apart from their HQ location? More US employees than Brits, etc, etc. To quote their website:

9. Agreed. My only worry though is that both the BAe and GD FRES scout variants seem to be a little on the 'fat' side. Would something in the 15-ton class have not been better?
  10. But that means we have to have A400M because replacement C130 would struggle! Or am I being too cynical for a Sunday morning?
  11. Liam Fox hasn't the slightest idea how the "system" works. I'm afraid he's like his boss. If they knew what they were talking about they'd have had Labour out on their ears long ago. Trouble is, I can't see the Tories being any better.
  12. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

They are that weight because that was what was specified...if the MOD had asked for 15 tonnes they would have got 15 tonnes....just less armour.

13. The Labour Party in the 60s did the same thing and the Army ended up with the Leyland engined Chieftain, that was complete crap, it took years and cost billions to get it re engined and become a great tank
  14. Quite the opposite, I think you are seeing a degree of joined-up thinking that doesn't exist! :D

Seriously though, the baseline GD model is 31.5 tons, the FRES varient is, with all the UK bits and bobs added, going to be about 42 tons all-up:

C-130 or A400m, it ain't going by air!