• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Telegraph concedes to George Galloway

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4717886.stm

The Daily Telegraph has backed down in its libel battle with George Galloway and could face a huge legal bill.

The newspaper has decided not to appeal to the House of Lords to overturn a £150,000 libel award to the Respect MP.

Mr Galloway successfully sued the paper for suggesting he had received money from Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq.

He said he was delighted to have "won", while his party claimed the Telegraph will now have to pay the damages plus both sides' costs.

Last month, the Telegraph lost its appeal over the libel action as Mr Galloway spent time in the Big Brother house.

The only option left was to petition the House of Lords.

But in a brief statement on Wednesday, a spokeswoman said: "The Telegraph group has decided not to petition for leave to appeal."

In a statement, the MP for Bethnal Green and Bow said: "The Telegraph clearly felt that if they could string out the case then, financially, I would be forced to give up. They clearly underestimated my determination to have my name cleared."

The paper had argued in court that it was in the public interest to publish documents found inside the Iraqi foreign ministry after the fall of Saddam Hussein.

Mr Galloway has always denied seeking or receiving money from the former leader.

Far from worried, gorgeous George is doing well enough making himself look like a complete c@nt to the general population and why sob when a newspaper loses a bucketful of money.

"I'll get my man to see to your kit."

Are you two related?

Quote:
In a statement, the MP for Bethnal Green and Bow said: "The Telegraph clearly felt that if they could string out the case then, financially, I would be forced to give up. They clearly underestimated my determination" .....to become as rich as possible.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Queensman said:
Are you two related?
....and did either of you run the USMC Marathon with me in 2004 !?

Latest Threads