Telegraph Article on Iran

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pork_Pie, Apr 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Telegraph article

Nothing earth shattering in the article, but still an interesting read.
  2. A very good article.

Can any ARRSEr remind me of the salient points surrounding the removal of the Shah and the return to Iran of Khomeiny ?

Who were the main players ? What part, if any, did USA play ? Were we (UK) involved ? The Russians ?

I went to Iran in 1971, it was wonderful and the people were super. Three of my cousins were born in Iran as their father worked for Anglo-Iranian and as a youngster I visited them in Abadan. Again, my memories are of pure bliss.

Any enlightenment, or have I, a poor old man, got to haul myself up to the library ?
  3. My girlfriend (a trainee journalist, standing over my shoulder) says to say, yes, we were involved, but Kermit Roosevelt (USA) was the main player.

She also says to buy/read 'All The Shah's Men' which is the best english-language introduction to the whole self-defeating saga...
  4. I too would like too be reminded of the ending of the shah's regime! Thanks too his overthrow i also believe we got a few extra squadrons of Chieftans?

How ever i think if memory serves me right we the west propped up his regime as a third party conflict in the war against communism somewhat like the many low level wars that took place in africa during this period!

Once again the real politik of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', did we choose the right enemy too be our friend? How long is a length of string is the answer!

I am sure that some on here are more learned than my self and i hope that we get some interesting, facts and points dredged up!

edited too add below......................'s_Men

Even though this is from wiki it is a starting point perhaps? and as i have said before, we dont exactly have clean hands?

But although this was done decades ago it is still! The past however it does affects the present.
  5. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

From my memory the Shah was overthrown by a group of revolutionary students as his regime was deemed to be corrupt. Britain, france and USA all had solid trade agreements including the defence industry.
    Khomeni was returned to Iran where he set up an Islamic theocratic government according to his personal interpretation of the Koran.
    The Shah was exiled (I believe he died in Egypt), America froze all the Iranian overseas assets in an attempt to bring the revolutionary party to its senses. An Islamic theocracy rising at that time in the middle east was de-stabilising Saudi and also Jimmy Carters plans to bring Israel into positive dialogue with it's Arab neighbours.
    The Iranians responded by capturing the American embassy and holding on to the hostages for about 18 months, (until Carter was ousted).
    History judges the rest but for my point there is no way that a country led by Mad Mullahs should have access to nuclear weapons. Ach my dinner jacket is small potatoes in comparison to what they would do.