Telegraph article - "Cuts have left Army '20 years out of date' and Forces 'not fit for purpose' "

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jrwlynch, Nov 15, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The author gives away his view constantly, not a very balanced standpoint at all.

2. Yes he does. He asks the question and his 'evidence' shows a hint of confirmation bias.
    However, these are arguments that can be made and countered.

Posts in the comments section included suggestions to retain or expand numbers but to deploy where there are gaps in other areas such as shore patrol, policing, home defence and get better value that way.

3. "The UK has NEVER, ever been fully prepared for a conflict. From the starving long-bowmen at Agincourt. To the unarmoured Snatch Landrover police vehicles in Kandahar, the UK has always come from behind to catch up once war breaks out."

Just because the UK has suffered horrendous and avoidable casualties at the start of every conflict does not mean we should continue in this vein.

• Like Like x 9
  4. It's how politicians and bean counters think. His readers generally aren't buying his argument though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Well we've fought a few conflicts off the back of a SDR so why would today be any different?!

6. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The comments are hilarious. If only there was a market for ideas that we've already had and implemented.

Why not have a 2 tiered military force? A Home Defence Force used purely for the safety of this country, patrolling the shores to stop illegal immigrants by sea and working alongside the RNLI; working with the Border Force and Police Forces to deal with internal terrorism; and operating aircraft and troops in local humanitarian and training purposes. Then there would be the Regular military organisations which could operate abroad. There would be different salary scales to take account of the slightly different roles and a 2 way transfer system from one to the other.

Brilliant. Let's call one, like you say, the "Regulars", pay them a bit more. Not sure what to call the other, but let's pay them a bit less, use them less, but encourage each to work with the other for experience. That's the 2010 SDSR sorted!

Why not make service personnel a more generic function - during times of war give them an army uniform and they go fight and shoot guns. During peace times they are trained as police officers/firemen/ambulance drivers/border force or other service personal supplementing the usual work force. Our emergency services get more people with minimal extra costs.

Hmm, interesting. So you're saying the military should assist the civilian manpower in the emergency services when they aren't deployed. Now what should we call it...

This shows how much the author understands about anything:

My two cents in the RAF gets way too much. In terms of foreign policy damage, randomly bombing weddings across the world is right up there.

"Boss! The plumbing is broken again!" "Right, I've had enough of this. Call the same plumbers back in, but tell them I'm banning all wrenches, spanners and O-rings. That should sort it out."

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

^ whoever wrote the crap you are quoting 9and quite rightly ridiculing) knows nothing about the subject.

8. It depends which missions you refer to:
    • Watching the Red Arrows and BBMF? Tick
    • Watching the Changing of the Guard? Tick
    • Watching and listening to military bands? Tick
    • Watching King's Troop? Tick
    • Watching the White Helmets? Tick (OK, too late)
    • Those yellow Search and Rescue helicopters are cool too! (Oops!)
    However:
    • Those noisy helicopters flying low over my house? Growl...
    • Those really noisy aeroplanes? Go away.
    Do the armed forces do anything else?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  9. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

They have arms. I saw it on Our Girl. All of them had arms.

Perhaps they could use their arms for something. Ooh, ooh, I know! Why don't the armed forces carry people's shopping for them when they aren't fighting a war! Like old people and fats. They could get tips and that could help pay for the Army!

Ever feel like the level of political debate and the comments sections on blogs are too close for comfort?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Yep, we've now deprived ourselves of an excellent way to maintain wartime skills in a peacetime environment.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 79D520AC-BAFE-4ADF-940A-A39FCA0DC730.jpeg
    Dont worry, both the RAF and RN/RM still have the skill set for JPR.

The pic ahows the pre deployment training for Op Shader, Royal Scots.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  11. That actually looks like a really good Ex and I'm all for exploiting every training opportunity. My main issue with getting rid of the SAR squadrons is that reality is always the best teacher.