Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teeth check at army

Hi there, I go into basic training in catterick in January and have never really had much of a problem with my teeth till this year my back teeth seem to play up every now and then I went to the dentist last month and they said there’s nothing they can do cause it’s not an emergency and it’s not stopping me from eating or causing any great pain, I understand how strict the army is at basic and was wondering if I’d get defferred or anything because of it the dentist said they can’t take them out but I know they probably need a clean I brush my teeth twice a day but smoke as well, probably just overthinking but wanting to know what you guys think?

Hi there, I go into basic training in catterick in January and have never really had much of a problem with my teeth till this year my back teeth seem to play up every now and then I went to the dentist last month and they said there’s nothing they can do cause it’s not an emergency and it’s not stopping me from eating or causing any great pain, I understand how strict the army is at basic and was wondering if I’d get defferred or anything because of it the dentist said they can’t take them out but I know they probably need a clean I brush my teeth twice a day but smoke as well, probably just overthinking but wanting to know what you guys think?
You're right, you're probably overthinking this.

If your regular dentist is not over-concerned then don't worry too much about it. When you do get to basic training you will go through medical checks including with the dentist so if you still have concerns then raise them with the dentist at the appropriate time.

You've probably been advised at some point to give up smoking and that would be good advice to follow for a multitude of reasons.

You're right, you're probably overthinking this.

If your regular dentist is not over-concerned then don't worry too much about it. When you do get to basic training you will go through medical checks including with the dentist so if you still have concerns then raise them with the dentist at the appropriate time.

You've probably been advised at some point to give up smoking and that would be good advice to follow for a multitude of reasons.
Cheers mate I will! I had a feeling I was just overthinking and after doing quite a bit of research a lot of people in the army seem to have messed up teeth anyway so I don’t really see why I’m so worried. But thank you for the comment mate!

Troy

LE
It goes a bit like this.

The Army could issue you with a comb and also cut your hair.
They could issue you with a toothbrush and also remove a tooth.
When they issue you with a jockstrap, you really need to worry...

Cheers mate I will! I had a feeling I was just overthinking and after doing quite a bit of research a lot of people in the army seem to have messed up teeth anyway so I don’t really see why I’m so worried. But thank you for the comment mate!
As Effendi said, Fang_Farrier is the person to take advice from and I claim no expertise but I'm wondering if it could just be your wisdom teeth that are causing your problem which seems to be quite common.. I had all four of mine removed not very long after I joined up because they were mesial impacted.

Good luck when you get to Catterick. Remember to try and maintain a sense of humour at all times - basic training is not the real army so work hard at it and enjoy the experience.

As Effendi said, Fang_Farrier is the person to take advice from and I claim no expertise but I'm wondering if it could just be your wisdom teeth that are causing your problem which seems to be quite common.. I had all four of mine removed not very long after I joined up because they were mesial impacted.

Good luck when you get to Catterick. Remember to try and maintain a sense of humour at all times - basic training is not the real army so work hard at it and enjoy the experience.

I will thank you mate!

Hopefully the man will come along and add his professional wisdom. Take heart though, the tooth doctor will usually do a dental inspection of everyone when they arrive for training, and will then sort out any issues you have during your time in training. Don't worry, don't overthink it.

Good luck in training, be keen, but not loud, you'll do fine.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not enough information to give a proper opinion.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It depends.

In what way are your back teeth "playing up?"

"Never had problems with them before" This could mean that you are a regular attender at a dentist and never had any decay or that you've never attended and actually have a mouthful of stumps that up to now have nt caused pain.

The dentist said that there's nothing that can currently do, is that because there's nothing to be done or because it's too complex to undertake a large treatment plan at present.

Dentist says can't take them out could mean that he doesn't think they need removed or that they are too complex for him to remove.

It depends.

In what way are your back teeth "playing up?"

"Never had problems with them before" This could mean that you are a regular attender at a dentist and never had any decay or that you've never attended and actually have a mouthful of stumps that up to now have nt caused pain.

The dentist said that there's nothing that can currently do, is that because there's nothing to be done or because it's too complex to undertake a large treatment plan at present.

Dentist says can't take them out could mean that he doesn't think they need removed or that they are too complex for him to remove.
No my teeth are perfectly fine I just seem to have slight pain in my back teeth cause my wisdom teeth are growing through the dentist said he couldn’t do anything cause they don’t hurt me enough and they don’t affect me eating so he didn’t want to remove them