Teenage rape

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ex_wobbleyhead, Oct 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it just me or is this sort of thing happening more frequently?

and then there's this one

and this

and then this was possibly the worst of the lot of them

What brought me these was a dispatches special that was shown on more4 a few weeks, I'd recorded it and just watched it last night.

Does the age of the individuals involved in these crimes give them lighter sentencing and if it does why?

Does this seem to be occurring more often for groups rather than individuals on their own? Or is it simply that as we have easier and easier access to news and information that this is popping up. After all news is only news if it doesn't happen every day. We don't hear reports from Afghan and out of Iraq like we did in the early days of the actions there and we don't hear about every fatal car crash...only the really big ones.

So do these stories give a true reflection of whats out there or are they skewed because they don't happen as often as the reports lead us to believe

2. Or the result of 12 years of "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime"?

3. aye but in THIS one that won't wash as

Ryan Brown, 16, from Langholm, was convicted at the High Court in Glasgow of raping one girl and indecently assaulting two other 14-year-olds.
    He said he also recognised that Brown had no previous convictions and came from a "stable and supportive background".

so the broken Britain arguement doesn't follow
  4. there arn't enough life sentances being give out. if your going to give someone 4-10 years (i.e. 2-5 with good behaviour) then there is no deterent. Give them 30 years and even if it isn't a great deterent to others, it keeps the bastards locked up and plenty of time to question their decisions.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The trouble is is that it cost a lot of money to keep someone locked up for 30 years. Short sentences are also given because there are not enough jails. As such prisoners have to be released ASAP to allow other ones in.

I would just kill them to be honest. It's cheap and no dead person has re-offended as of yet.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Or Brown eventually got caught after a string of previous undetected offences because plod were too busy chasing diversity targets and after a few months in the nick playing on his XBox 360 he will be released into an unsuspecting community to strike again.

Or sent to Libya on compassionate grounds.
  7. Oh I don't know.... I still reckon Michael Jackson may re-offend from beyond the grave..
  8. Well put.
  9. Shouldn't you be busy shredding and burning documents in Labour Party HQ before Cyclops eventually puts a bullet through his temple in the bunker??
  10. We have evolved into a 'self' society where me is the most important person and there is no concept of society or duty, civic or otherwise, if you want it take it.
    Couple that with an almost constant barrage of violence through DVDs, computer games and on the internet people are becoming immune to brutality with many seeing violence as a first course of action if they can't get their own way, after all they will rarely have been a victim of violence and are unlikely to have ever had to face any real consequences of their action.
    Couple all this with an immature mind that hasn't developed properly formulated morals and an abundant amount of free time that teenage unemployment brings and you can see why such crime is on the increase in certain areas.

11. And sure enough, paperpuke is here to spin for his masters!

The rest of the country saw through the lies years ago…

"Blair has not been tough on the causes of crime, says Woolf
    By Robert Verkaik Legal Affairs Correspondent
    Friday, 23 April 2004

Tony Blair has failed to honour his main pledge on law and order, suggested Lord Woolf, the Lord Chief Justice, to an audience of lawyers and academics.

Tony Blair has failed to honour his main pledge on law and order, the country's senior judge suggested last night. Lord Woolf, the Lord Chief Justice, told an audience of lawyers and academics that politicians "were not being sufficiently tough on the causes of crime''.

Tony Blair's promise to be "tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime'' became a decisive Labour mantra in the run-up to the party's landslide victory in the 1997 general election.

But last night Lord Woolf delivered an attack on the effectiveness of government policy in tackling prison overcrowding and failings in the criminal justice system. In a speech in which he asked, "do we need a new approach to the penal policy?'', Lord Woolf said: "Unfortunately, it has to be accepted that, for many years now the public have little confidence in the ability of the criminal justice system to ensure justice is done.

"Regrettably, each part of the system has appeared to be failing the public. Far too few of those responsible for crimes were being detected and, of those who were detected, the percentage who were successfully prosecuted to conviction was regrettably low.''

He said that, in recent years, there had been "no shortage of reviews of penal process" but each revealed "a mind-blowing situation involving vast expenditure with little, if any, long term improvement''. Lord Woolf, who was delivering the Mishcon Lecture at University College London, quoted Home Office predictions that showed the prison population would rise to 109,600 by the end of the decade.

He also said that reoffending by former prisoners cost society at least £11bn a year and that former prisoners were responsible for about one in five of all recorded crimes."

12. [/quote]

Or Brown eventually got caught after a string of previous undetected offences because plod were too busy chasing diversity targets and after a few months in the nick playing on his XBox 360 he will be released into an unsuspecting community to strike again.

That's exactly it, that little cnut has gone and given that girl the fear and made her life a misery. Chances are he'll be out in a while and he'll probably do it again.

The government keep complaining about to many people in prison and yet they let out people who are an obvious danger to other people.

But is it a reflection on the government with the apparent morals and directives from the eu, or on us, as the electorate that allow this so called reflection of ourselves into office either voting them in or not voting for anyone cos they're all bunch of cnut's (which is worse imho)

or should we just go for the coup now bring back common sense and decency?
  13. Slick you and bob crossed over into parody land last night with your insightful observation that all the social problems of the last 64 years hanv't been caused by secularization, the breakup of the traditional family model, the rise of individualism, economic inequality, or deindustrialisation, they've been caused by... the Labour Party. Now while I could point you in the direction of several university professors who could do with a laugh, with regards to this board, I can only suggest you get a new ID and start from scratch.
  14. All parties, politicians, the education system, media, and us, ie the public, are to blame.

I refer to some of my comments on the Troops To Teachers thread:

7. A key word here, that seems to be lacking from the classroom, is responsibility. People need to learn that that actions have consequences. They need to learn respect, to to value, themselves as well as others, and their environment. It used to make me mad at school when I got cut with a knife, and the culprit was let off scot free, on the basis that they had to bend the rules for him, as he had been kicked out of several schools already for being violent. I would just have to put up with it.

8. Sorry if going on a slight tangent, however it does underline the need for responsibility and respect. I have no doubt the liberal wishy-washy pinko Euro luvvies must take much of the blame for my problems.
    I don't believe in teaching people not to fight back, this is denying them their God given right to self defence and will wreck their self esteem and confidence. Nor do I believe in pretending that people are responsible for their own actions.
  15. The problem with many older children and the issue of consequences is that many don't see, in the grand scheme of thing, themselves as having much of a future. If they had something worth losing you'd cure 70% of their problems overnight.