Ted Loden late 1 Para murdered

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by LancePrivateJones, Sep 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Col Ted Loden MC murdered in Kenya in an apparent robbery on his home.

As Major he commanded Sp/Coy 1 Para on a well known winters day in Londonderry.

They seems to have a bit of a downer on retired Brit Colonels out there, 2nd one killed in 2 weeks.

Here >> BBC News - Army colonel Edward Loden killed in Kenya
  2. RIP

You'd start to think that it is a targeting.
  3. It does seem a remarkable coincidence.
  4. Maybe not. The wife escaped by hiding in a panic/strong room.

Places which need such facilities are preparing for that risk.
  5. It clearly is targeted robbery, affluent housing where there will be (probably) decent kit that can be moved on relatively quickly. As for the sad fact that 2 retired Para offrs have been killed, coincidence. I'd still like to give the thieving ****s a ****ing good kicking though....
  6. Good old BBC overly dwelling on Bloody Sunday and a passing mention to his MC.

7. May God Rest his soul.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Good old BBC if it were not the Bloody Sunday link it wouldn't have got a mention al all..............
  9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If that were the case they wouldn't have bothered reporting Parkinson's murder on which they had two articles. So stop tilting at windmills.

Two very unfortunate incidents, I wonder how this fits in with a general pattern of home invasion violent crime in Kenya are we seeing a rise in this particular crime?
  10. So guys settle in Kenya. Why not in the scheme of life.?

The danger with having a white face and even remotely being associated with wildlife conservation/protection raises a concern in the local area. To be factual, there's a likelihood these gents upset the area arrangement. It's not helpful in Kenya to be good at at what you do, in respect to a change in Governmant.
  11. I don't recall back at the end of August the other murder getting prime time TV on that evenings 6.00pm news..

That said there probably is a nasty pattern emerging..
  12. Nairobi seemed quite a benign place to me. Always run the risk though I suppose.
  13. Get yourself out on the piss in The Sportsman's arms next time your in country. Benign isn't the word I would use for Kenya. Lovely place but would not live there, especially with the growth of Al Shabab.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. His son commanded A Coy, 3 PARA in Afghanistan 2006. He seemed a good commander. He wrote the outspoken email about the RAF as a whole, it went all the way to parliament.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That's the concern, are these home invasion murders mainly targeting White Kenyans and Expats as they are seen as (i) An affluent easy touch, (ii) they are upsetting/showing up a rather corrupt equilibrium in region or (iii) are they a part of a wave of crimes that also affect similarly affluent Black Kenyans.

Understanding the motivations behind the crimes makes it easier to combat them, knowing the most likely targets means more can be done to protect them. Whatever they are it's deeply worrying.
    • Like Like x 1