Ted Kennedy Knighthood

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pararegtom, Mar 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

A petition to have the offer of a knighthood to Senator Teddy Kennedy rescinded - if you feel strongly enough please do sign the petition via the link below. You'll get an acknowledgement from Downing Street to your email, and to activate your signature you have to click on the link in their email.

Background

Gordon Brown announced in his address to Congress on 4th March that Ted Kennedy is to be awarded an honorary knighthood for 'services to the US-UK relationship and to Northern Ireland.' This is an insult to Britain, to those innocents who died during the Troubles in Northern Ireland, and to those who currently hold the same honour. Throughout his career, Ted Kennedy has been no friend of our country. He was staunchly pro-IRA when their campaigns were at their bloodiest and constantly railed against the British 'occupation' of Northern Ireland. He is does not deserve such an merit. How can he be awarded the same honour as true, great American friends of the UK such as Ronald Reagan, Norman Schwarzkopf, George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower? This is after all the man who fled the scene of a car accident that left a woman to die trapped underwater. His political career has been self-serving and opportunist, as was his role in the Irish peace process.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Kennedy-Ted/

ASSUMING YOU SIGN THE PETITION, PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO AS MANY LIKE-MINDED PEOPLE YOU KNOW.

2. Sgt.Slingsby

Sgt.Slingsby War Hero Good Egg (charities)

Disgusting IRA sympathising barsteward.

I genuinely wish him ill, and I don't say that about many people.

And SIGNED :twisted:

3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Whom: Broon or Kennedy?

4. Seconded,........and duly signed petition

5. Signed & forwarded.

His dad was a t**t as well.
    He told Roosevelt that the UK was 'finished' before the Battle of Britain.
    Seems to be a family trait, hating the UK.

6. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Whilst I have signed the petition we would be better off writing to our MP. The PM petitions are an exercise in bullshit for the plebs.

Contact Your MP

If you use the link to contact your MP then they are legally obliged to respond to your letter or fax.

This carries more weight than a No10 Jade Goody Big Brother Petition.

7. The lake at St. James' is being drained right now in preparation for the Teddy visit. All the stuff has been driven down towards Horse Guards. That gives him a clear run from Hyde Park Corner and a possible hit on the Wedding Cake straight into the sludge.

Anyway, where can you hope to find a 67' Oldsmoblile Delmont 88 fresh from the car wash?. Storey's Gate perchance.

8. maninblack

As sent to my MP this evening.

Dear Mike Hancock,

Re. The Honorary Knighthood for Senator Kennedy

I would like to bring your attention to the matter of the intention of our much esteemed Prime Minister and his intention to bestow an honorary knighthood upon the brother of the late President of the United States.

Whilst I am sure that Mr Kennedy has been an effective state legislator he has always been a supporter of the Republican cause in northern Ireland and has, on many occasions, been a vocal antagonist of Her Majesty's Government.

I would respectfully point out that as a former member of the armed forces and a person of Irish heritage, I strongly object to the award of an honour to someone who has been, like his father, a lifelong public critic and the British government, a man who has deliberately insulted the British Army for his own cheap aggrandisement and a supporter of anti-British extremist terror organisations.

I would also suggest that it could perhaps be argued that bestowing an order upon a long standing advocate of terrorist movements within the United Kingdom falls foul of recent Labour Party sponsored legislation on advocating or supporting terrorist organisations.

Are we currently in a position where Mr. Brown is in breach of his own bizarre Stalinist legislation?

I would value your opinion on this and whether you are prepared to raise this issue in the house.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXXX

9. I'd vote for Mike Hancock, however will this change the end game?

For those who were in NI in the early / mid 70's WE don't forget the Kennedy Factor!

10. MiB. I'm impressed. Well done.

Not so much for the letter to your MP but for using the word 'aggrandisement' so fluently.

Note to self: Use the word 'aggrandisement' more in conversation.

11. He got his comeupance from a 9 Sqn officer in Belfast,some years ago.See much earlier thread on the subject.Note.''You know who you are''

12. maninblack

I did have to use a spell checker to find out that it had two Gs but then again I am a simple Northern Money ex grunt.

13. RGJ/LI/UDR/RE,

Seems a lot of guys from different regiments have got the credit for seeing off Senator Edward Kennedy,

Odd really, as Ted Kennedy only plucked up courage to visit the province for the first time in 1998.

...Unless the BBC have got it wrong !

14. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Uncle Bob Mugabe got one in 1994 (although we took it back again thankfully) so it shows that Government (any party) will hand out these baubles if it gets their face in the papers (not the recipient).

FFS Bob Geldof got one for doing sweet feck all.

The ribbon used to dangle the symbol of Knighthood should be used as the noose to hang the Rt Hon E Kennedy T.W.A.T.

15. Signed .