Ted Heath Funeral

Why hasnt President Tony attended the Funeral?

Bloody disgrace that the current PM has not attended, when all the previous others are there - shocking snub to a great leader, who also saw active service in HMF.

perhaps if a few more politicians had followed suit, this country wouldnt be the bloody mess it is now!

k

Replies edited and deleted.

Guys, whatever your thoughts on the stewardship of Heath , he's dead, it's his funeral today. So can we just have a modicum of respect for his war service if nothing else today?

Regards

PTP

Whatever you thought of his politics, I think on this, of all websites, he ought to be bidden a respectful farewell.

[align=center]Lieutenant Colonel Sir Edward Heath RA Mention in Dispatches
1916 - 2005[/align]

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
PartTimePongo said:

Guys, whatever your thoughts on the stewardship of Heath , he's dead, it's his funeral today. So can we just have a modicum of respect for his war service if nothing else today?

Regards

PTP
Ok PTP - for his war service only, not the 'man'.
However what I wrote earlier was neither illegal, libellous nor untrue.
I stand by it 100%

(Not that keen on his policies or honour but that had nothing to do with it.)

Cutaway said:
PartTimePongo said:

Regards

PTP
I stand by it 100%

And, for balance, can anyone contribute obits of those with war service also buried today who did not take Ted's path to fame?.

I have to agree with whiffler......better men than heath are being buried today and it's about time we collectively stopped tugging the forelock to self-agrandising politicians and 'celebs'.

Cutaway said:
PartTimePongo said:

Regards

PTP
I stand by it 100%

Quite like his earlier honour and politics. Fair play for the war record, MiD and MBE(Mil):

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1698665_1,00.html
His bitter hostility towards Hitler and Mussolini, and his conviction that their policies made war inevitable, placed him firmly alongside Churchill and against the ruling appeasement doctrine. When the Munich agreement was signed in September 1938, Heath denounced it, and a month later, in the famous Oxford by-election, he aligned himself not with the government candidate, Quintin Hogg, but with his unsuccessful opponent, A. D. Lindsay, the Master of Balliol, who fought under an Independent Progressive banner.

Heath joined the Army immediately after the outbreak of war and served in the Royal Artillery from 1940 until 1946, reaching the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He was mentioned in dispatches and appointed MBE (military), and was a capable and brave officer. He liked the Army sufficiently to remain as a Territorial for several years, becoming the commanding officer of the 2nd Regiment of the Honourable Artillery Company and Master Gunner within the Tower of London. Some of his fellow officers liked him very much, but on others his shyness left an impression of insensitivity and even rudeness. He was, however, respected as a fine soldier.

Latest Threads