Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Technology Hates Me

Any technology I interact with always seems to right royally fück me over.

I get by on my iPad, but if it does something like going into split screen I have a breakdown and a silent weep to myself as I haven’t got a clue to get it to do what I want it to. Fortunately the kids are ok with things Apple and we get by.

I have a PC, I bought it mainly for gaming and to use GMail (because why would an email app be fully useable on a tablet). It still seems to mug me off and tasks become Army 5 minute jobs, hours later I’m cursing all and sundry.

I haven’t always been this incompetent around computers, before I was injured I got by just fine, no problems with office or other day to day things that they are required for. Then I had a Mac for 6 years, never got used to it and came back to Windows 10.

It’s quite obvious that the world is full of geeks, who think they are smart by making things more complicated. Lets see how smart they are when I smash their smug little faces in!

of course, this could just be a result of me rapidly approaching 50 and a symptom of old man syndrome.

I don’t even know where things get downloaded to on the PC, I always try and play safe and have them on my desktop, but some of the little buggers elude me.

It took me a while getting used to not having a physical disk for games as I now use steam, but it is better for me. The only thing is I don’t really understand it, where are the games saved? I have the shortcut on my desktop, but when I look at properties it just says internet shortcut and no file location. Is that all it is? Is the game streamed from Steam’s servers?

Yours faithfully

Technology Mong

I don’t even know where things get downloaded to on the PC, I always try and play safe and have them on my desktop, but some of the little buggers elude me.
There should be a folder called Downloads in your user area. Open File Explorer, find 'Dingerr' (or whatever your actual user name is on the PC), it should be in there.

It took me a while getting used to not having a physical disk for games as I now use steam, but it is better for me. The only thing is I don’t really understand it, where are the games saved? I have the shortcut on my desktop, but when I look at properties it just says internet shortcut and no file location. Is that all it is? Is the game streamed from Steam’s servers?
The files will be stored wherever your Steam folder is, usually in C > Program Files > steam > steamapps > common.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
sorry bud I feel your pain.

I understand how they work and what makes them tick but avoid the software like the plague and that is more of your problems. they like to move everything which makes sense to the nerds and not the numpties.

but yes its all stored on their servers so you can play Dalek 'Dominion overlords' on any machine with a log in and a network connection.

Create a folder in your drive called My shite and put a shortcut on the desktop as too much actually on the desktop will slow them down.

Often I just need to send a quick email to a group. This requires using the PC, but why is it than when I start it up it wants to spend an hour doing updates. The little cünt needs to start doing what I want it to do.

Often I just need to send a quick email to a group. This requires using the PC, but why is it than when I start it up it wants to spend an hour doing updates. The little cünt needs to start doing what I want it to do.
Windaz10 is a cvnt for updates. However, it gives notice when they are due ( whether you want them or not) and you can select a time/date when said updates do not interfere with your Dark Web super-sleuthin'.

It’s quite obvious that the world is full of geeks, who think they are smart by making things more complicated. Lets see how smart they are when I smash their smug little faces in!
This in spades. I am no Luddite but it seems that every time an operating system, program or apps get updated these days, it is to make simple tasks more unfriendly and unintuitive.

Is it because programmers and software engineers, are basement dwelling geeks or just sociopaths... Case in point iPad safari browser, when you are reading an article and want to open it in a new tab. Rather than say as it did before Os update, 'open in new tab' it is now 'open in background'. FFS. WHY.

Ritch

LE

When I see some of the posts here going on about computers, their operating systems and coding etc, it just flies over my head. It seems normal and easy as hell to some people and despite being 31 and growing up with a PC and laptops, its all double dutch to me.

Try one of these simple to use laptops.

download (6).jpeg

How do I uninstall a steam game?

It used to be straight forward for games as there was an uninstall option. I can’t seem to find that anymore.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
open Steam, go to your library, right click on the title, 'manage' and then 'uninstall'.

"I'm all fingers & thumbs" my gran used to say when she balsed up an iron ball or whatever.

Oh hang on...

PFGEN

GCM

I feel your pain. I have a mate in Switzerland and when he gets a good rant going on updates I can hear him without the aid of the phone.

Post 2000 Apple was a revelation for me, I went over to the dark side and sh!t just worked. Now that Tiny Tim has taken over and the company has gone all woke and rainbow there are more issues that keep cropping up. Steve Jobs may have been a bastard of the first waters but a lot of stuff released now wouldn't have left the building under his watch.

At work our small company has a mix of Apple and Microsoft. I'm the sys admin, among other things. You should try dealing with the shaky heads on Microsoft's hell desk. Always fun when I'm trying to set up some service or other and Microsoft announces that I can't do that and should contact the system administrator. The shouts of "I am the fecking sys admin you ******." at least keeps my colleagues amused as do the conversations with Gupta in Bombay. Had to call last week only to hear that Microsoft had run some sort of update and caused chaos with a large chunk of their customer base.

tiger stacker

On ROPS
On ROPs
I grew up on Apple, learning pcs was a byproduct of Macs being limited for games

Steam is handy, however certain games just won’t fucccccccccking work despite meeting the required system criteria

Which is nice when you just shelled out 20-30 notes for something you can’t feckkking play

Don’t get me started on iTunes podcasts downloaded yet unable to play

Grrrrrrrrrrr

bcsack

Old-Salt
You spend hundreds of beer tokens buying a machine that is a million more times capable than the computers used to take men to the moon - and you think you should suddenly know how to use these wonderous machines intuitively !!
FFS do the world a favour & take a course Local age concern, night school etc have courses - search online ............. or maybe phone a friend !
By way of anecdotal evidence had a guy call me for help -screen is frozen nothing works - tells him press and hold in the start button it will shutdown. My laptop doesn't have a start button says my pal the local savant - advised him to take it back to pc world & demand one with a start button. I mean where do you start

Just wait until your computerized chariot decides you've eaten a few too many biscuits.

Too late.

I used to have RESNA certifications if it ever decides to hold you hostage and you need someone to help negotiate terms.

There used to be a woman who worked with me about 10 years ago who had an anti technology field. She wasn't bad with equipment, it was that electronic stuff would die around her at a rate much higher than anyone else around her.

It got to the point where her coworkers would get her printouts for her from the main printer to prevent her going near it, and she was banned from the workshop in fear that she would bugger up customer cars.

I've never worked with anyone like her since.