Technical question on the Lee-Enfield.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Dwarf, Dec 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend of mine is a gun nut and has a collection of pistols, muskets and modern weapons, all of which he fires from time to time. When the Revolution comes he doesn't know it but I'm having his AK47 off him like a shot.

Anyway he has recently managed to get a WW1 style Lee-Enfield which he loves but has a problem with reloading when he uses the charger. He reckons that it causes jamming as the rounds go in crooked if he loads them with the rims above each other like one does in a normal magazine. If he pushes the second round slightly ahead of the one below it seems to work but then the rounds get too far forward.

Question: Does anyone know if there is a trick to loading the charger or is he just a ham-fisted twat as I most technically suggested.

Thanks in advance lads.

2. do the rounds not self correct?

3. I seem to recall that when you load the charger you put the first round in flush to the rear of the charger. The next is placed next to the first round but the base is placed on top of the lip of the first, and so on so that the 5 rounds are staggered.

4. Sounds like damaged magazine lips to me. With my LE's it doesn't seem to matter how the rims lie, either ahead or behind the cartridge below. The bolt just pushes the top round over the lower, no problem.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Apparently not.

I haven't seen what he does yet, but your point is what he seems to see as the answer and what we discussed. But he is talking about a ten round charger and the rounds just seem to be too far forward according to him.
    Just thought I'd ask as someone here always knows.

Thanks lads.

6. Dave the Ape is correct.

When loading the charger, 3 rounds have their base firmly to the rear while the two others sit on the lips of their adjacent rounds (so down, up, down, up, down).

You should then have no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Useful point.

8. That's what we are looking for then. Thanks a lot.

9. When you fill a five round clip, three of the rounds are in contact with the base of the clip, call them numbers 1, 3 and 5 while the 2 rounds between these (2 and 4) are sitting up on the rims . Does that make sense?
    -_-_-

10. Perfectly. Thanks.

This is what impresses me about Arrse. The depth of knowledge, even when the Army has had the toy gun for a long time now, and before that God's own choice of rifle, and the weapon I am talking about hasn't been around for over half a century as a service rifle, and his version is even older. Yet within half an hour of posting I have received some serious and knowledgeable answers.
    I thank one and all

11. That is correct as I remember,think the phrase used was,'outside,in,outside,in,outside'.

12. Thanks Dread - you explained it much better than my clumsy attempt!

13. My mate will like that, his english is very good despite having learned it in Yorkshire.

Nope I understood you and I haven't had a beer.

Thanks again one and all.

14. Well,I learned mine in Liverpool,there's a thing?

15. Bloody hell, that's how I remembered it from cadets. (Liverpool Collegiate CCF-with some sort of Scottish capbadge). That's a while back now.

• Like Like x 1