Tech Shortage! Im confused

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by polar, Jun 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen the 'vacancy' list for Telic 7 and nearly 50% of it was for System/Installation Techs (Sig->Cpl).

So how come many posts on here have said the tech trade is 500 odd over strength?
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

No idea - I give in - what is the answer?
  3. quite simple civvies at the MOD have got their head up their arrses
  4. Eh? System or Installation Techs? They're two different trade groups, Polar. You of all people should know that!

5. Nice one Polar, the hairy-arsed telemechs/linies are going to love you, comparing them to techs!!

Bend over Blackadder!!
  6. BOO HOO i don't wanna have tech in my job title it means i have to stop acting like a wannabe liney :twisted: :wink:
  7. That is a good question Polar, every time a trawl is sent out for a deployment there seems to be lots of Sys Eng Techs's required. I am also lead to beleive that the Corps is some 300 to 400 overmanned in this trade group. So unless there is a unit out there which is soley made up of Sys Eng Techs (we don't have enough) then prehaps in the current climate of Op Tours and over comittment the manning levels for this trade group aren't set correctly? Just a thought, so instead of Glasgow grading all the SET's with a view to forcing them to retrade, and preventing them getting premoted to Cpl until they've passed their Class 1 entrance (new directive); Why not look into the possibility of realligning the manning levels to come close with the requirement being set by Land.
  8. what you also have to remember is that although supposedly we are overmanned due to the dates when the mass recruitment of techs went on a number of years back.

There's a lot of us on our class one course at the moment and as this is a career course we can't be deployed on ops. So supposedly it's up to the part timers to cover.

If we are so overmanned in the regulars even with career courses it shouldn't be necessary to call on the TA for cover on ops.
  9. We just have techs in the TA, guess they System Techs. Are Inst Techs liney's or Tele Mechs? (I'm guessing Tele Mechs b4 Dis.. slaughters me for this post) :D

Then again if TA doesn't have them, why are we being asked for them (plus the IS Eng they wanted- which we don't technically have) 8O
  10. Yeah you're right. Tele Mech was renamed Installation Technician when the RSIGNALS trade review was implemented in April 2000.
  11. Polar, Im loading the shotgun....start running!

12. I think the main problem here is that the Corps' has got its own head rammed firmly up its own arrse!!!

If we are 400 men overmanned on the Sys Eng Tech side, and everything I've seen/heard so far indicates massive overmanning in this trade, then there should be absolutely no shortfall in any theatre or unit.

Someone just said something that is interesting, these 400 men over, does that include those currently in training or are they in specific posted posts? I think the T1 upgraders are in slots, not sure about the T3s.

Also bear in mind that if a unit is trawling this will because their own techs aren't up to scratch. Will another unit hand over its cream to make the other units numbers up, if they're going to be left with their own dross? Some good techs are unfit for deployment and some may not be up to the task to send out.

I think the main problem here is a lack of quality techs, rather than techs.

Luckily the powers that be seem to be working on a plan at the moment to demoralise all the good techs in to leaving.