Tech Help reqd.....wireless problems

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Bixslade, Oct 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Wireless set up is a Thomson wireless router as issued from Plusnet.

Turn laptop on and wait for it to see the wireless network. Click connect and wait. All i get is 'limited connectivity' and no access to the 'net. BUT if i then access the router set up via ethernet and go to 'wireless set up' and apply the settings, it works. Turn the laptop off and you have to do the same thing again. Put the laptop to sleep and it ok 9 times out of 10. Odd thing is Ipads and Android devices connect fine without any problems at all.

All laptops are fully updates and running Win XP and Win 7. Because the Ipads etc connect ok, i'm thinking its a windows issue??.

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

yep its a windows issue and there;s tons of it out there. you can try changing the wifi channel if you are getting an overlap or fixing your IP address with the router in the router admin section to avoid any clash.

refreshing your IP and winsock thingy might help.

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Try changing the channel your wireless broadcasts on in the wireless setup. Could be windows is getting interference from neighbouring wireless channels and is binning the connection.

4. Probably stating the obvious here, but there's a power settings thingy on most routers for the antenna. It might be set to low instead of medium.