• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Team Medic Course

Hi

Just a quick question, I've done a bit of searching but not found what I was looking for. I'm still a SuT with a Yeomanry Regiment (Got TSC (B) in 2 weeks time), so I'm aware I still have a long way to go, but I'm just looking at my options. I'm interested in doing the Team Medic course, but i'm just wondering if once completing this course I can deploy on Herrick with the Infantry/RAC as a medic? Or is it just an addition to a soldier, rather than a role?

Cheers

Will
Its a two day course that teaches you the very basics. Its nothing like the training the real medics have. Its just to help in the golden hour/platinum ten minutes until proper help arrives.

Its a two day course that teaches you the very basics. Its nothing like the training the real medics have. Its just to help in the golden hour/platinum ten minutes until proper help arrives.
How is it not 'real' traiing? Also I'd say a fair few blokes are still alive thanks to the efforts of these blokes in that crucial early time frame.

No Godfrey Bags anymore, you get a webbing pouch.

Z

Zarathustra

Mine was 5 days and taught more than just the basics, though not much

How is it not 'real' traiing? Also I'd say a fair few blokes are still alive thanks to the efforts of these blokes in that crucial early time frame.
How is two day training during which time you get about seven different scenerios and only actually "treat" one casualty anything like the training real medics have?

When I did my RMA course, the Team Medic course was part of it. It took five days and we supposedly covered the curriculum of a paramedic (although perhaps that was true if they included the RMA stuff we covered, too) - this was around 2002. Why have they changed it to only two days?

When I did my RMA course, the Team Medic course was part of it. It took five days and we supposedly covered the curriculum of a paramedic (although perhaps that was true if they included the RMA stuff we covered, too) - this was around 2002. Why have they changed it to only two days?
Thats all it takes for the training they gave us, Crow_bag might have been longer but on mine (although streacted out over 4 days) they would have struggled to fill two. Maybe the training was different (More to it) when you did it.

Mine was 5 days but was in 2004, one step up from a BCDT course.....it keeps changing, we were taught to use the 341 module but no more I believe.

Have also done the US Combat Life Saver course, now THAT is worth getting on.

It's another string to your bow as already stated but it wont make you more deployable per se as the units will have their own.

Oh BTW You're no longer called a SuT....ITD/ARTD have gone full circle, again, and you're back to being called a recruit...it only took three years for them to see sense.

Oh BTW You're no longer called a SuT....ITD/ARTD have gone full circle, again, and you're back to being called a recruit...it only took three years for them to see sense.
Since when?

It means I have to rewrite all the Quality manual and COs Directives again!!!!

Boxy do you have reference for the reversion to 'recruit'? I'm still working from the Amdt 3 to CMS 09 and wasn't aware there'd been a change.

Do they have any idea the amount of work they create by just changing a bloody name!! Does any body have it in black and white SUT's are now recruits again. Document ref would be good, cheers

when i was away there was always at least one team medic in each section, his primary role was as a soldier and he basically had the added distinction of getting to carry the team medic medpack. each platoon also had a CMT attached so they were the ones who predonminately dealt with casualties (although if they needed a hand they might ask for a team medic to assist).

i did know 1 TA who deployed on the ground as a medic but he was a fully qual'd RAMC CMT

I dare say that is because the Brig (or insert other high rank) who thought it up has now moved on to **** up some other department in MOD.

Watch this space to see the next thrilling instalment in...CORGI

(Commanding Officers Realy Good Idea's!)

What will be the next pointless name change??? Section Attack renamned to...Section Introduction....or Platoon Subunit Assault???

Boxy, can you post a link or something to the name rechange so I can pass it on..... cheers bud!

Boxy do you have reference for the reversion to 'recruit'? I'm still working from the Amdt 3 to CMS 09 and wasn't aware there'd been a change.
Will have to check back, but my boss commented on Face Ache about 4 weeks ago.

On June 25th he wrote "After 3 yrs it's the penultimate w/e 6 & we're playing "on the bus, off the bus" again...ITG has decided SuT is dropped WEF immediate & Recruit is reinstated!........."

HTH

Hi

Just a quick question, I've done a bit of searching but not found what I was looking for. I'm still a SuT with a Yeomanry Regiment (Got TSC (B) in 2 weeks time), so I'm aware I still have a long way to go, but I'm just looking at my options. I'm interested in doing the Team Medic course, but i'm just wondering if once completing this course I can deploy on Herrick with the Infantry/RAC as a medic? Or is it just an addition to a soldier, rather than a role?

Cheers

Will

Back on thread:

Team Medic is not an employment as such. Its an additional skill in addition to your primary job. Ideally, on operations, every soldier in the company or squadron is trained as a team medic and therefore knows how to use the kit in the team medic pack. As regards being a more qualified type of medic on ops (ie where that is your primary job), other posters will be able to give you more info, but essentially, you have to qualify as an RCMT on a regular course.

Did my RMA 3 around 2002ish aswell... can't remember exactly when.

Had a RN CPO (Cdo trained), SSgt QARANC, CSgt (RGR) and a RAF Flt Lt as teh boss (she got embarresed at the end of course when teh blokes shouted 'speach' but she did give one off the cuff too). Brilliant month. The straight on to environmental health...

First Team Medic in NI in 98, week long included drips etc, second one in 2009 didn't but was still a week and included TWO moulages... both required a test prior to starting though. So assumed knowledge may have had a bit to do with the selection of those on the course.

Draft dodger is te most accurate, i dithe old NITAT run Team medic cse back in 96, i progressed through Regimental Medic And am now my units lead team medic instructor. In the old days it was up to a 2 week long cse which included cannulation. Now the Team medic cse is 2.5 days long and concentrates on getting the basics right, whitch is what saves lives on the battle field. The ratio for trained team medics used to be 1 in 4 it is now 50% in a deploying unit. The qual only stands for 2years so new tour meens new cse. I also work at ATC Pirbright and can confirm that they are no longer SUTs