Teaching Zone

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by GDSB, Mar 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon all...

Are there any SMIG or IG ninjas about that could give me a steer?

Looking to teach the basics of 'zone' tomorrow and I'm struggling with ideas of how to make it interesting...

At the moment I'm circling around the idea of trying to create an example of zone with some mini-flares, but that's about as far as my thinking takes me...

Not looking for spoon-feeding or a gold plated solution but has anyone come across an example of someone who made a fairly dull subject less dull? Audience participation is encouraged and powerpoint is banned.

If you're Larkhill based there may even be a crate in it for you!

Many thanks in advance

G

2. Not a SMIG but an ex BCs Ack who's now a secondary teacher. Take a bag of jelly babies. Give them a target on the ground at a decent distance to throw them at, all from the same firing point. Then take the class to examine the "fall of shot" should hopefully have a nice lozenge which can be examined from direction GT and various OT directions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You could do what the late Peter Geary did on my FOO's course and walk you into the impact area perpendicular to direction GT, stopping when the splinters began to "sting a littel". When it became apparent that one of the guns was firing somewhat erratically and we were being bracketted, we beat a hasty retreat! "Where's that bloody 432 got to?!"

uqfegd

pp

4. Zone taught, thanks for the idea about the sweets. I didn't use it in the end as I couldn't get the demo bods consistent enough to prove my point but thanks anyway!

5. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

There used to be a video in the mid 90's called "The Long and the Short of It" which illustrated the two different types of SF GPMG beaten zone by using a tall thin girl and a short fat girl. See if you can get a copy .....

6. Ex 29 (8/79) is on the right track - pitch the sweets at the waste bin and ask the question why did each miss ? Sit back, adjudicate and let the class pretty much teach themselves !

7. Interesting? Mini flares? That will work.