Teachers pay

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Closet_Jibber, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have they really got anything to winge about?

They're generally better paid and have more time off than most so is the real reason (Pain in the arse kids) a good enough one to start throwing money at them or should they suffer the same fate as The Old Bill and get told to feck off back to work!?!

2. They get about 13 weeks holiday a year - they get stressed because they haven't got the guts to sort out children.

Blah !

3. In all fairness its not always a lack of guts. I think it may be a lack of support from the western world to Roger Moore Style Judo Chop Unruly kids.

4. I'd agree that they should (like all public servants) get a pay rise, but I'm a baby killing imperialist war monger who shouldn't be allowed to tell kids what I do for a living so personally I hope the NUT get fuck all.

5. Unbelievable!I've just watched the reports on the news about the teachers strike.There was one lunatic who has only been a teacher for 12 months and is complaining that she only gets £23000 a year!I'm sure a Tom in Afghanistan would be chuffed to fcuk with 23 fcuking grand!

6. Exactly what I said to a member of the NUT thismorning! :D

I then reminded her that it was those she voted out of schools who protected her rights to go on strike.

Her Reply

"Ahhh well but, errr" - <Silence>

7. Teachers really need to get real. They average £30,00 to £34,000 after 6 years, a gold plated pension, and as long as they keep their nose clean a job for life - with early retirement, and lets not even mention the holidays.

Don't they also get cheap mortgages as they are key workers, as well?

They knew what they were getting (ie a bloody good deal) before they went into the profession, and shouldn't start whingeing about it. If they don't like it, they should try and get a job in the real world where shiftwork, threat of redundancy and small pensions are the norm.

Rant over.

8. All that time off, 13 weeks, is why they also form a large chunk of the UK Caravan owners fraternity, nuf said!

9. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Fairs fair it is a tough job.

For me it was a tough job cos of all the liberal leftie twats that made my shit hang sideways. The kids I could deal with just fine. The constant office politics, back biting, meaningless paperwork IN FCUKING QUADRUPLICATE did mu nut in.

And getting bad reviews from my nominal boss who could control the kids half as well as me and knew the subject less well than my ccok cheese. Hence the reason I have applied for a green suit and a place at the ocifer factory.

10. OK Guys, let's get this in to perspective shall we?
    It may seem like thirteen weeks holiday, but it most definitely is not; while the little darlings are out of school, causing havoc in the neighbgourhood, teachers are doing lesson plans and organizing classrooms for the next term.
    On top of that, their day is not the same as the pupils, they are there before the kids come in and long after they have gone home.
    It does not end there, they come home and start marking classwork, organising activities, and answering complaints from idiot parents who seem to think their responsibility for their kids ends at the school gates.
    I guess, by now, you might have figured I am involved with a member of the teaching profession; my wife has been one for over thirty years, but if you think I am biased, just remember I was armed forces, and my son still is, and has done a tour in Afghan.
    What I am trying to point out is, that whatever part of Government service you are in, you are well down the bottom of the breadline, unless you work in Whitehall.
    Right, I will now get off my soapbox.

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, its all very well for you lot, but did I get any counselling when I was falsely accused of blowing up the science block and expelled? With no forensic evidence?

Four eyed lying twunts. Make them work for bus fares and bowls of rice.

Apart from Miss Wakefield. Who introduced me to French.

unf

12. That's quite funny! I work in the real world, earn significantly more than that with good holidays, a great pension, company car expenses etc, I couldn't give a toss about the threat of redundancy because I will just walk into another similar job tomorrow. After 25 years in the RN, and significant time spent qualifying to be a Maths teacher I decided I couldn't actually afford to teach and redirected my skills and qualifications; industry is paying so much more for so much less in terms of personal commitment.

It's probably worth remembering that the poor sods who put up with your little angels in an attempt to educate them are graduates with real job prospects in the "real" world, they choose to teach because they like teaching. If you want to retain good people in this sector best start paying them good wages or people like me are going to use every trick in the book to buy their skills! Consulting in education pays c£350 a day the same as any other branch of the industry.

That being said this has been building for a long time, it's a shame action wasn't taken before. The current leading and guiding members of the NUT are all left wing nut jobs who could lose public support in a single press interview given half a chance. Just about everyone in the public sector is suffering making teachers appear to be a little selfish throwing their problems above everyone else.....damn bad timing or politically motivated nonsense?

13. I used to be like most people on here with the views on teachers but my misses recently qualified as one. I can tell you for certain that they don't start at 9 am and finish at 3.30pm, she is out of the house before me in the morning and back from work much later than me, roughly 2hrs after and she works closer to our home than me. Once she is home she is doing lesson plans, marking and making things up for displays for her class, she usually gets finished by about 8.30 / 9pm. When it comes to holidays, her school teachers have to work most of them, she gets around 30 days just like the rest of us.

She didnt strike and i dont agree with striking because doing it gets F*ck all results apart from making them look like spongers but i can see where they are coming from, when all is said and done they have just been shafted with a pay deal that is about 2.5% below inflation for the next 3 yrs, so in effect, a pay cut.

I still think the NUT are c*nts though!!

14. Private business payrises are generally 2.5 - 3 % so they should think themselves lucky. I have very little support for teachers given the lack of support in this country for engineers. It's generally forgotten that they are a graduate profession, but they get sod all for it, unlike teachers.

15. My bold, no they don't, nobody does unless you work for a mortgage lender.

Still don't think they've a justification to strike though, they haven't done badly out of the public sector pay round.