Teachers compo Jackpot.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dontenn, Mar 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is an interesting story....

Injured Teachers Receiving Millions In Payouts

One secondary school teacher was awarded more than £382,000 after his arm was slammed in a filing cabinet, while another won £240,000 after working in a poorly ventilated workshop for a decade, according to information published by teaching unions.

Surely this must be one of the best compo paid jobs I know, Teachers do have to put up with a lot of crap from some violent kids, but the compo pay out is a bit OTT, IMHO. However, they do have more hols than your average professional worker to recuperate.
  2. Seems rather low for a long term injury which has probably assessed as being detrimental to their career.
  3. As is always the case with Compensation payments in cases like this the devil is in the detail.

This sounds a lot, but you don't know the extent of the injury and what lasting effects were caused. It might be that this teacher was an International Hockey player [for example], and as a direct result of this his Hockey career is over. You also have to consider, did the employer know about the problem with the filing cabinet previously and what was done if anything to sort it out? Also in this case did the pupil concerned, have a track record of violence towards staff and fellow pupils?

Very often large awards are more a reflection of the attitude of the employer to the health and welfare of the employee and overall rather than any real injury caused.

Is this right? well as I am not a legal philosopher, I can't comment, but if in your world there was an ongoing problem that having been reported to the employer nothing was done and YOU are the one to suffer, IMHO it is usually the case that you would be pretty pissed off?

Finally, it would also depend on the news outlet reporting the event, if it was the BBC, the slant on it would be totally different than the Daily Mail [who in IMHO, tend to get hysterical about Teachers and their lot most times]?

Ok serious bit over, form a Que and let the rants begin
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The workshop payout seems completely reasonable.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app
  5. Successfully processing compensation claims where how Arthur Scargill made his name in the miners union.
    And their are now union leaders who would love a power base to Challenge a spineless Tory government.

6. Both payments are average.
  7. From the article,my bold. Seems fair to me.What do teachers get paid?

One of its members, a secondary school teacher in the South West, was awarded £382,930 in a Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) case after a pupil slammed his arm in a filing cabinet while trying to grab a confiscated football.

The teacher was unable to carry on working.
  8. Ooohhh no. Loads of free money for teachers!

Actually no it's not. If a teacher has an accident at work, they may be entitled to compensation for whatever injury they may have received. Believe it or not, that goes for most people who get injured in their place of work.

If anybody including a teacher is injured at work, they can take a legal claim against their employer for damages for pain and suffering etc. There are two principle routes along this path. If you belong to a trade union, your union will make the claim for you. All part of the service! If you are not in a union, speak to a solicitor who does that kind of work. They will often do it under a no win no fee agreement.

Basically, your solicitor, union appointed or otherwise will make the claim and the other sides solicitor, usually appointed by the employers insurers will counter the claim. The claim can go to an employment tribunal or in some circumstances to a court.

The legal basis of any claim is can negligence be proved?

If negligence is proven, then the claim will be successful. The amount of damages awarded for a successful claim is decided by the tribunal or the courts, not the employee, their union or the employer.

All part of the legal process of the law of the land chaps. Not a benefit of being a teacher that the rest of us don't have!
  9. But still an industry fueled by scum sucking parasite lawyers!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. And I don't think anybody could disagree with that.

However, I do think that their needs to be a way that situations like this can be resolved. In New Zealand they have no fault compensation agreed at mediation, which as far as the employees go they are represented by their union, and its all over and dusted very quickly. They also tend to settle at much lower sums, but their is scope for the victim to return for a top up If the damage is longer lasting. This of course is missing from the UK ( coming back that is ).

About the time I left the UK, there was talk about no fault compensation for cyclists. This went down like a can of wild donkeys at the time, with the red-tops screening blue murder at the thought of such a thing. Perhaps one day the UK legal profession might grow up or better addressed the Politoons.
  11. Did thier arm fall off or something?

Slamming an arm in a drawer stopped them from working. What a weak ****. I don't think anyone would slam a large payment if your life was really different to before the accident. But I think what really needs to be addressed is the notion that any injury no matter how small, is life changing.

Yet more proof that society is getting weaker by the day.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  12. So not only are you a doctor but you've had full access to their medical records?

Or are you just an outrage spastic gobbing off about shit you've no idea about?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Why? an injured arm shouldn't stop someone working a a teacher - I had a teacher with one leg didn't stop him teaching me pretty well.

Sounds like a bit of a swindle to me.

• Like Like x 1