Teacher morale 'dangerously low' suggests survey

I know a couple of teachers and they have not told me their morale is low, i mean if i got the paid holidays they get plus the additonal income from doing private teaching over the weekends and evenings oh and not to forget the golden pension after x number of years and spending the majority of the last teachers strike in the pub

If you cant take a joke you shouldnt have joined is what i say and you can always vote with your feet (but i doubt they will move from their cushy little numbers)

I work with teachers and yes they do get paid as you state, however they also have an almost insurmountable amount o red tape and paperwork to get through everyday. Saying that they are also not nearly as clever as they think they are. Most can't spell, hardly any can use excel, and almost all make things harder by trying to do things the most arduous way possible to show how clever they are rather than doing it the most obvious and easier way. They also treat anyone who isn't a teacher like shit! In short, they are cunts!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I know a couple of teachers and they have not told me their morale is low, i mean if i got the paid holidays they get plus the additonal income from doing private teaching over the weekends and evenings oh and not to forget the golden pension after x number of years and spending the majority of the last teachers strike in the pub

If you cant take a joke you shouldnt have joined is what i say and you can always vote with your feet (but i doubt they will move from their cushy little numbers)
The same pensions that the govt changed?

Costs 9k to do a PGCE now, that's how much my entire degree cost 3 years ago. I think a degree now costs something like 25k!

Only a few years ago New Labour would pay illiterate plebs to train to become teachers, which is why we've got so many people who can't differentiate between 'your' and 'you're'.

I was chatting to some bird who was a teacher the other day, she said she worked most weekends and through the holidays. I don't think it's that cushy anymore. When I was at school the teachers did f/a but now they're held accountable to a ton of paperwork which is just an elaborate ass covering exercise to show the govt that subject areas have been covered. When you add up the 9k and the stress it's hardly worth the hassle and money.

Teacher morale low, so are nurses, soldiers, policemen, those on the dole, Americans, Indian women, rail travellers, those who watched Jools Hollands thingy the other night, Daily Mail readers who saw The Big Quiz 2012, Ivory Coast firework fans. Yep gonna be a tough year.

My sister went straight into teaching from uni a couple of years back teaching 4-6 year olds, she started on £27k and gets all the holidays etc. Still moans about how hard she has to work as if nobody else has a job as difficult as a teacher, and how worn out she is every time its coming up to a holiday. I appreciate they do marking and planning outside of work hours, but considering they finish about 15:30 it still leaves plenty of time to get home & get it done before I've even left the office in my job, and I'm prepared to stand corrected but how hard is it marking work that 4 year olds have done? hardly GCSE physics is it? I wouldn't say morale was low though, barring the usual work place dramas that everyone gets.

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer
I was chatting to some bird who was a teacher the other day, she said she worked most weekends and through the holidays. I don't think it's that cushy anymore.
My missus is a teacher. She shimfs like fuck but still gets to do the square root of bugger all for months at a time. And she works hard and gives a rats arse. Furthermore this survey was done by the National Union of Teachers whose ideological enemies are in power. They aren't likely to say everything is Peachy when Labour is in power never mind the Tories.

If the NUT hadn't churned out a conga line of Retards for the last 30 plus years they would get some sympathy. But this is a gut reaction to the Government tightening up on La La Land bullshit exam results; regional and performance related pay; and their phasing out on ideological grounds of the Comprehensive system, which has generated said retards in favour of Free Schools.

My sister is the Head of a CoE school in Inner London.
She gets long Holidays but during that time she has to plan and prepare for the upcoming term /year, arrange timetables and ensure that records are upto date for OFSTED inspections etc.
She also has to raise funds for extra curricular activities, that parents expect the school to provide, or to carry out repairs to school property.
She and some other staff recently did an open water 3K swim for this very purpose and raised over 10K. The training for this effort was done in their own time
The Daily Wail like disdain for Teachers on here would be easier to accept if some posters actually knew what they were talking about.
I can imagine the outrage on here at corduroy wearing teachers on TeacheRumourService spouting such ill informed tripe on Military matters. Then again we get enough of that on here already.

I once started a PGCE... jacked it to teach at Uni instead. It wasn't the children I couldn't stand, it was the teachers - with one or two exceptions, they were the most self-satisfied, self-aggrandising, unjustifiably pleased with themselves shower of shit I have ever known. One of them turned up on a 'Baker day' wearing a T-shirt that announced "I'm a teacher... Because I care" - just remembering that has made a bit of sick come up.

The headmaster was a 6'6", rake-thin ginger streak of piss who dressed like the robbers in Reservoir Dogs, and all his acolytes aped him in this: seeing them troop in to a staff meeting like Mafiosi, all grim-faced, was always a treat.

The teachers had to take on admin duties to get the higher grades of pay, so these duties of course grew like weeds. The school had both 'houses' and 'guilds' which overlapped and caused a lot of admin trouble, but it meant that there was more admin duty to draw extra pay for (one mad-eyed trout introduced herself proudly as an 'Ass Hog' [assistant head of guild]). I recall a staff meeting at which 8 teachers spent an hour arguing over whether or not to buy a new kettle for the mess-room: it got very heated, with old grudges and personal insults very much in play. When they'd decided to buy one they started bickering over whether or not it ought to be cordless. Most of them were barely literate, and they would 'correct' my submissions with illiterate substitutions ("That's not how you spell 'discreet', it's d-i-s-c-r-e-t-e, OK?").

The final straw came on the last day of term. The headmaster was going round putting up posters that read: ****** - this is a School in love with its Pupils". He saw me looking on, and asked what I thought, looking pleased as Punch. Just seeing it and him like that had crystallised my decision to quit, so I answered, "You ought to put in a post-script that we don't actually fuck them" and walked.

I did join the staff in the pub as there were one or two I wanted to say farewell to (needless to say not there as they couldn't stand the cunts either) plus a tasty-looking cleaner I'd been working on (cleaners not invited to sup with their betters, apparently). They'd descended on a pub, about 60 of them, at 1500, and not one had thought to phone ahead to tell the place, so there were 60 teachers, two old soaks and one barmaid. Several teachers were whining about slow service but when I suggested they might have called ahead they looked at me blankly.

The women all had look-at-me soft drinks ("I'd like an orange and lemonade, I'm driving you see so I won't have even the smallest amount of alcohol") and none of them did rounds (justifiably scared they might not get bought one back, I assumed). Most of the blokes had halves and paid for them with the right money, counting out the coppers on those half-moon tray purse things. I got four pints and sat down with some of the nuggets I'd worked with, who thought they'd scored a freebie. The light in their eyes died away when I pointed out that they were all for me.

I would say that was the last of it, but of course these creatures and their brethren were still in my life, in the form of the non-educated youths who turned up at university barely able to write a coherent sentence, and with no useful knowledge of the subjects they had A-levels in. Taken as a whole, British teachers are more of an impediment to education than an aid.... paying them more than the minimum needed to sustain life is money thrown away.

She gets long Holidays but during that time she has to plan and prepare for the upcoming term /year, arrange timetables and ensure that records are upto date for OFSTED inspections etc.
She also has to raise funds for extra curricular activities, that parents expect the school to provide, or to carry out repairs to school property.

She and some other staff recently did an open water 3K swim for this very purpose and raised over 10K. The training for this effort was done in their own time
The Daily Wail like disdain for Teachers on here would be easier to accept if some posters actually knew what they were talking about.
I can imagine the outrage on here at corduroy wearing teachers on TeacheRumourService spouting such ill informed tripe on Military matters. Then again we get enough of that on here already.
On 27K a year..??..probably not..does she earn more than the Prime Minister..possibly..??

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
As well as running my own company, I'm a School Governor and I too get to spend lots of time on extra-curricular activities, including fund-raising. Since we have a strict policy of not imprisoning our teaching staff, I presume that they turn up every day either because they enjoy it or because they can find nothing with better pay and conditions, or both.