Teacher fired for allowing pupils to use a sledge

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jan 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Oh yes it is, at least by reference to the distorted standards now imposed upon vast swathes of human activity.

His true crime of course was using proper common sense rather than slavish adherence to what are commonly misrepresented as "H&S" procedures but are all too often just meaningless and worthless bits of paper for box wallahs to file.

However, seems to have had an outcome at least bordering on sanity:

"The GTC's professional conduct committee hearing in Cardiff found him guilty of four out of nine charges: That he allowed pupils to go sledging, didn't have head teacher's permission, ignored cautionary words of warning from colleagues and denied the allegation when questioned by the head.

He was cleared of five charges, including that there was no risk assement, there was no parental consent and health and safety guidelines were not followed.

Mr Tremelling does not work currently as a teacher but is an officer in the Territorial Army.

The committee ruled he can remain a teacher and his reprimand will be removed after two years."
  3. WTF? He must have put someones nose right out if they made an issue out of this. Is the school on the side of a steep mountain? It states in the article that it was in school grounds, so I'm assuming that the lads pushed each other round the playground.
    Though its possible from looking at the school grounds on google earth that they sledged down the embankment to the playing field..... must be all of 12ft.
  4. 'ello, 'ello, 'ello!
    spend a lot of time looking at school playgrounds on google earth do we sir?

so who's he with, is he on arrse?

i have to say though headteachers are a law unto they bloody self,
    probably upset half the SMT as well, but as far as i can see, did 'nowt wrong really

well 'cept evade the truth when asked by the head and ignoring 'cautionary words'
  5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

FFS when I was 15 we were building and driving cars , what a load of PC Shite,again, at 15 1/2 of course I was in Bovington he well know center of all things safe
  6. Mr_Fingerz

I suspect the cautionary words were something along the lines of "I'm sure that the Head won't like that", and "have you filled in a HSW9?" (or somesuch piece of paper). As for evading the truth, "Did you demonstrate Newtons Laws of Motion?" "yes". Sounds truthful to me.
  7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

You do realise he's STAB, so that accounts for it then
  8. Mr_Fingerz

You mean that he can apply common dog to a none too unsafe situation, and get given shoite by people who should know better?
  9. lets just wrap everyone up in cotton wool,.........................sad, sad world
  10. What sort of screwed up system is it that you can be found guilty of " ignored cautionary words of warning from colleagues" and that this is a ground for dismissal.
  11. at the end of the beeb online piece the schools spokestwat alludes to his history of disciplinary problems
    surely not allowed to make statements like that?
  12. The moral of this tale is clear…

The world is far too dangerous for children to exist in so I propose that skools are redesignated as 'Pre Young Adult Pre-Danger Receycling Centres' where all kids can be humanely put down so they are not exposed to 'danger'.

Do it, do it now!

For the childen!
  13. Mr_Fingerz

I wouldn't have thought so. What sits in his personnel file is between him and his employers. Any reference to his record by a PR person would, I should have thought, been completely outside of their remit and could lead to the LEA being sued for a breach of trust, not to mention failure to maintain the confidentiality required by the Data Protection Act.

I am sure that the Information Commissioner would like a brief chat (probably without coffee) about their data handling procedures.
  14. Didn't Mr Cameron and his chums say there was going to be a change in the Elven Safety culture in schools and that teachers were going to allowed to use common sense rather than filling in endless forms or simply being put off doing any sort of educational activity?

Although this probably wouldn't mean anything over in taffland anyway