Teach yourself Nepali

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by musicalmarvin, Feb 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd be grateful if anyone could direct me towards decent teach yourself Nepali publication - either electronic or paper.

I'm interested in commissioning into the Gurkhas, but my most pressing need at the moment is that I'm wanting to travel in Nepal between graduating (this summer) and heading to Sandhurst (next January/May)

many thanks

Marvin

2. Marvin PM me your address and I will send you a CD and book else try this out:

www.eurotalk.co.uk Learn Nepali ISBN 1-843-52088-5

3. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

miro ali ali Nepali balne!

4. "Gary no go"

5. "I no understand" :lol:

6. This link may be of use to you.
    Actually they teach Nepali to British officers
    http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/brigade_units/gurkha_language_wing/glw_courses/index.htm

7. Any Chance Of Sending Me The Same Book + CD?

8. Marvin get yourself a good rifle out there, too many damn Maoist around. :eek:

Goodluck, it would be a trip and a half.
    maybe someday I'll get out there.

Jus hope it'l not be communist when I do get there :eek:

9. Ma alli ali Nepali barsa sikdai chu

10. I had one of those too but the wheels fell off....

11. I have a copy of English For Gurkha Soldiers - Angreji Sikne Postak - with a foreword by Major General R.N. Anderson. CB, CBE, DSO. (the MGBG back in the 1950s -early 60s) which was useful though no pronunciation guide so everyone fell about laughing!

12. Indeed, in fact Nepali as now tought is different from those halcyon days and is based far more on the soken word in Kathmandu, you will know that the word Gurkhali has been officially dropped by BG to indicate that the spoken language is Nepali.

13. Rayc

Rayc RIP

That's nice that you can speak a little bit of Nepali.

The word 'Gurkha' does not represent all the people of Nepal. Gorkha is a district of Nepal and obviously the other Nepalis would not appreciate if called a Gorkha or that they speak Gorkhali, especially these days since all are politically and socially aware apart from being literate.

Hence, they prefer the word Nepali to Gurkhali.

14. Good lord Rayc. Are you suggesting, in the interests of PC, that Gurkha and Gorkha Rifle regiments be renamed Nepali Rifles?
    Also are non Sikhs permitted to join Sikh regiments?