• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Teach yourself Nepali

I'd be grateful if anyone could direct me towards decent teach yourself Nepali publication - either electronic or paper.

I'm interested in commissioning into the Gurkhas, but my most pressing need at the moment is that I'm wanting to travel in Nepal between graduating (this summer) and heading to Sandhurst (next January/May)

many thanks

Marvin

musicalmarvin said:
I'd be grateful if anyone could direct me towards decent teach yourself Nepali publication - either electronic or paper.

I'm interested in commissioning into the Gurkhas, but my most pressing need at the moment is that I'm wanting to travel in Nepal between graduating (this summer) and heading to Sandhurst (next January/May)

many thanks

Marvin
This link may be of use to you.
Actually they teach Nepali to British officers
http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/brigade_units/gurkha_language_wing/glw_courses/index.htm

musicalmarvin said:
I'm wanting to travel in Nepal

Marvin get yourself a good rifle out there, too many damn Maoist around. :eek:

Goodluck, it would be a trip and a half.
maybe someday I'll get out there.

Jus hope it'l not be communist when I do get there :eek:

I have a copy of English For Gurkha Soldiers - Angreji Sikne Postak - with a foreword by Major General R.N. Anderson. CB, CBE, DSO. (the MGBG back in the 1950s -early 60s) which was useful though no pronunciation guide so everyone fell about laughing!

Indeed, in fact Nepali as now tought is different from those halcyon days and is based far more on the soken word in Kathmandu, you will know that the word Gurkhali has been officially dropped by BG to indicate that the spoken language is Nepali.

Fang_Farrier said:
miro ali ali Nepali balne!
That's nice that you can speak a little bit of Nepali.

you will know that the word Gurkhali has been officially dropped by BG to indicate that the spoken language is Nepali.
The word 'Gurkha' does not represent all the people of Nepal. Gorkha is a district of Nepal and obviously the other Nepalis would not appreciate if called a Gorkha or that they speak Gorkhali, especially these days since all are politically and socially aware apart from being literate.

Hence, they prefer the word Nepali to Gurkhali.

Good lord Rayc. Are you suggesting, in the interests of PC, that Gurkha and Gorkha Rifle regiments be renamed Nepali Rifles?
Also are non Sikhs permitted to join Sikh regiments?

Busterdog said:
Good lord Rayc. Are you suggesting, in the interests of PC, that Gurkha and Gorkha Rifle regiments be renamed Nepali Rifles?
No.

I was only trying to state, the people are Nepalese, when taken as a group. Gorkha is merely a district and possibly the one from where the original recruits came from.

Here in India, except when handling the Islamic issues, we are the least sensitive to being politically correct.

Non Sikhs cannot join Sikh Regiments except for officer.

Busterdog said:
No.

I was only trying to state, the people are Nepalese, when taken as a group. Gorkha is merely a district and possibly the one from where the original recruits came from.

Here in India, except when handling the Islamic issues, we are the least sensitive to being politically correct. :)

Non Sikhs cannot join Sikh Regiments except for officers.

John Gurkha, any chance of getting a copy of the CD and book as well. I am hoping for a commission into the gurkhas and it would be very helpful. Also going on attachment with 2RGR this year so it would help.

thanks

Latest Threads