Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teach me about Buffalo shirt

H3

LE
The Montane comes with a decent hood and has loops for glove attachments. The Montane Buffalo S6 and issue copies all have to be put over your head, which is a PITA. From memory Montane do a conventional style front zip jacket.

I thought I'd bung the Smock in but your right PITA - the Extreme jacket and Prisim jacket are in my post as you can see , the OP should look at a Keela Jacket (Multi cam ) with a Marino base layer as that's my combination these days , comfortable enough to wear in snow or rain while on the move with weight on your back but also warm enough to stop . No need to be putting kit on kit off as it does it all in one !

Someone mentioned the Buffalo sleeping-bags. I got an inner, liner and outer in roughly 1990 and used them in various combinations for a decade, including on a Winter Norway without freezing. After moving house recently I investigated a mystery box that had been knocking around the garage previously and found a mouldy, smelly buffalo bag. After being washed repeatedly the pile is back up, the smell has gone and the thing is usable again! They are bulky, but very robust in terms of weather resistance and wear-and-tear. The only repair was to replace a main zip after a bug-out drama broke some teeth off it.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
After moving house recently I investigated a mystery box that had been knocking around the garage previously and found a mouldy, smelly buffalo bag. After being washed repeatedly the pile is back up, the smell has gone and the thing is usable again!

Same experience here. The cycling shirt version I have came from Survival Aids back in the day, which makes it 20+ years old (I do miss that shop). It comes out and goes away as my personal fitness fads come and go (I have a love-hate and sometime a hate-hate relationship with cycling) and has had a couple of distinctly, er, musty periods. It always comes up like new, though.

The Montane comes with a decent hood and has loops for glove attachments. The Montane Buffalo S6 and issue copies all have to be put over your head, which is a PITA. From memory Montane do a conventional style front zip jacket.

They do indeed. I was issued one for a tour in the Balkans a few years back. Great bit of kit!

Alamo

LE
I have the Montane for civvy use, Found it to be better quality, cheaper, and comes with the hood; stacked up against Buffalo it's a bit of a no brainer as far as I can see.

...and comes with the hood...

What is this "hood" thing you refer to?

:) I do vaguely recall the threats from the Officers and NCOs set over me that they would rip a limb off and beat me with the soggy end if I was found to be wearing one, is this the Devil's Device to which they referred? :)

Still can't get used to seeing our kids pull the hoods up on their sweatshirts. "Blocks peripheral vision, limits your hearing, makes you look like a shoplifter - pull it down!"

The issue version has a liner which is the stickiest fabric known to man. If you put in on over any material, it seems to weld to it.

I noticed that. From memory it's supposed to be layered over the issue fleece if a bit nippy but by the time you're fought the damn thing down over the fleece you're sweating your tits off !

BTW Buffalo Shirt bought in Kosovo in April 2002 and still going strong. Debating washing it but fighting shy for fear of knackering it !

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I noticed that. From memory it's supposed to be layered over the issue fleece if a bit nippy but by the time you're fought the damn thing down over the fleece you're sweating your tits off !

BTW Buffalo Shirt bought in Kosovo in April 2002 and still going strong. Debating washing it but fighting shy for fear of knackering it !
I think the washing instructions are non biological powder and no fabric softener.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
We have some mountain, survival etc, instructors. But half of them are instructors only, because army have no idea what to do with them and second half are sportsmans.
What, dodgy bars full of sweaty mahouris with cnuts like velcro dipped in cottage cheese ?*

* © FiveAlpha

I think the washing instructions are non biological powder and no fabric softener.

From the very helpful website:

FAQs - Buffalo

Buff.PNG

wheel

LE

Its ok to wash as long as you use non bio . Allow it dry naturally ,

Edit to say beaten to it be several light years.

Old-Salt
Wear a Merino wool base layer, with a zip neck for on the go ventilation, and a wind shirt to put on at stops. If you are already soaking before your halt you only need to keep the wind off you, before you don your smock again.
Or maybe a poncho, 58 stylee?

I'm slightly baffled behind this Nikwax tech wash thing.

What is this durable water repellency (DWR) they talk about.

Seems a bit snakeoily to me. TBH I've never dhobi'd a waterproof and my buffalos and montanes just get hoiked in the wash with everything else

Waxing and reproofing seems weird to me. Either its a jacket impregnated with stuff ie a wax jacket or its waterproof, or at a push ventile, which is supposed to have its own expand when wet to block ingress properties.

I want some science and I want it now!

mangoletse

War Hero
The principle is that water 'beads off' instead of soaking into the surface fabric, as when that happens the layer of water stops it from breathing. I've seen some recommendations of cool iron or tumble dry but never dared do that to any of my stuff

pinksniper

Old-Salt
I find the "Smock, Thermal, Lightweight, PCS" does the job quite nicely mind you for quick stops, I'd even wear it whilst taking my sister's Shitsu-Terrier for the walk

I'm slightly baffled behind this Nikwax tech wash thing.

What is this durable water repellency (DWR) they talk about.

Seems a bit snakeoily to me. TBH I've never dhobi'd a waterproof and my buffalos and montanes just get hoiked in the wash with everything else

Waxing and reproofing seems weird to me. Either its a jacket impregnated with stuff ie a wax jacket or its waterproof, or at a push ventile, which is supposed to have its own expand when wet to block ingress properties.

I want some science and I want it now!

Disclaimer: I am not a chemist, other nerds are available and will probably turn up in a minute.

Bear with me the point will be forthcoming.

You have doubtless seen the blokes who go around cleaning windows using the extendable poles with a hose hanging from the handle and connected to a tank of water in the back of a transit van. I went on a course for this gear with the original inventor of the system and he explained the water science to us.

Tap water is full of a collection of contaminants: Dirt; limestone; chemical traces; micro organisms. Water is basically a chemical mix and the contaminants hold the chemical mix stable. So, if you filter out all the contaminants water tends to become unstable and if you look at it under an electron microscope it looks like boiling nitric acid. Water try's to naturally make itself more stable by latching onto contaminants.

That is how the wash and reach window cleaning works, they use water that has had more or less everything filtered out so that it attracts the dirt off windows (to stabilise itself) and moves it away. Some of the window cleaning companies use heated water as this is even more aggressively looking for dirt to stabilise itself because the heat drives off molecules turning the water from H20 into H3O, making it more needy for contaminants (dirt) to stabilise itself.

Right, moving onto clothing: Your clothing as you wear it will get contaminated with schmutz on the surface over time. Rain is distilled water, so quite clean and free of contaminants therefore it is looking for contaminants to stabilise itself and it will soak into the contaminants on your jacket, or other clothing.

In order to stop the rain soaking into the surface of the jacket you need to remove the contaminants and this is traditionally done with a washing machine and detergent. The window cleaning lads do not use soap, or any additive to remove dirt, just pure water. Detergents in and of themselves can be quite aggressive destroying things like the nice PTFE goretex layer with repeated washes. Just washing with hot water will ordinarily do most of the cleaning, but adding a 'green' cleaning product or nikw@x will improve the cleaning quality. I use a green cleaning product......you get a bucket full and its cheaper than nikw@x.

So there you go, a boring diatribe about water. The company whose course I went on is Ionic, ex-RAF bloke owns the company, invented the system and the filtration methodology which is now used worlwide in everything from window cleaning, electronics production and bio-thingy's.

Ionic Systems - The Reach & Wash System

Latest Threads