"Tea and toast"

Andre

Old-Salt
What if any? is the reason that "tea and toast" and "Coffee" at 10:00. This could lead to lots of rabbit holes, but I would like to get to the bottom of the reason.

Thank you in advance...

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
What if any? is the reason that "tea and toast" and "Coffee" at 10:00. This could lead to lots of rabbit holes, but I would like to get to the bottom of the reason.

Thank you in advance...

For me, well I used to get many things done during tea and toast. Easy to catch people, and get caught, have an informal chat and away you go.

A quick word with the BSMs about who was where on the league table of vaccines for the upcoming Herrick before the next UHC meeting and everything improves without any emails or embarrasment.

Sgt X has an issue with one of the lads, quick unofficial word, advice given, lad sent over.. and so on.

It's also a social thing. Gets seniors away from their office and using the Mess without alcohol!

It also gives the Officers, Seniors and JNCOs a break from each other. I made it a point that all the available Tp seniors went to tea and toast.

Andre

Old-Salt
For me, well I used to get many things done during tea and toast. Easy to catch people, and get caught, have an informal chat and away you go.

A quick word with the BSMs about who was where on the league table of vaccines for the upcoming Herrick before the next UHC meeting and everything improves without any emails or embarrasment.

Sgt X has an issue with one of the lads, quick unofficial word, advice given, lad sent over.. and so on.

It's also a social thing. Gets seniors away from their office and using the Mess without alcohol!
Thank you, and that is still going strong if they can get off there bloody iPhones... but yes still used for that reason, I was wondering about the timing. It makes huge sense with PT etc to be 10:00 but there may be more to it?

1000 is just a natural break time. Start at 0800, scoff at 1200. 1000 slots in nicely.

Andre

Old-Salt
1000 is just a natural break time. Start at 0800, scoff at 1200. 1000 slots in nicely.
100% makes sense I ask this one, as I am with a lot that does it at 0930, not sure why. 08:00 ID who is there and not still drunk, 0830 go for a run, finished after warm up and down for 09:30

Time for a shower and get into uniform for All Ranks, then either to go to the two messes or a NAAFI brake Pte to JNCO then back on parade for 10:30, for a normal days routine.

Cannot understand the 09:30 hay but it is there thing, just wondered if some one knows of an old reason for the time?

Thanks.

I guess it's down to the presiding member.

100% makes sense I ask this one, as I am with a lot that does it at 0930, not sure why. 08:00 ID who is there and not still drunk, 0830 go for a run, finished after warm up and down for 09:30

Time for a shower and get into uniform for All Ranks, then either to go to the two messes or a NAAFI brake Pte to JNCO then back on parade for 10:30, for a normal days routine.

Cannot understand the 09:30 hay but it is there thing, just wondered if some one knows of an old reason for the time?

Thanks.
Just wait one! We had PT from 05:00 to 06:30 (every morning), shower, shave, breakfast, trek half a mile to muster at 08:00 and get on with work. Tea & toast or NAAFI at 10:00 if it's convenient, lunch at 12:30, evening meal at 18:00, SNCOs back at work and lads in the gym until 21:00.

And Regulars call TA part-timers?

It was always big with our seniors in Fally (when juniors & seniors actually had decent messes 'cause we were away from the UK) though seemed to fall away once we moved back to Catterick. PT from 0830 to 0930, attend to personal administration, NAAFI for us juniors and tea and toast for the seniors so they could put the battalion to rights for the day/ week. Come 1030 parade, bunch of fed and chilled out seniors content to usually keep it low key until lunch :grin:

I quite like military history but as with most things in the army no one really seems to know why, these links say that its something to do with the industrial revolution.

Although Im not sure if its linked to the Armys tea and toast or if its just a coincidence.

Its slowly dying out despite some RSMs desperate attempts to keep it going.

The cookhouse/spar/coffee usually has better facilities/option and is (generally) closer to the place of work.
Emails and the telephone are used for contacting people.

Blogg

LE
I quite like military history but as with most things in the army no one really seems to know why, these links say that its something to do with the industrial revolution.

Although Im not sure if its linked to the Armys tea and toast or if its just a coincidence.

Its slowly dying out despite some RSMs desperate attempts to keep it going.

The cookhouse/spar/coffee usually has better facilities/option and is (generally) closer to the place of work.
Emails and the telephone are used for contacting people.

In a previous job a very crusty and strange senior type insisted, nay demanded, that his departmental minions gather, miserably, thus at 10.00 constantly citing "communication" and "promoting effective teamwork" as the reason.

He was the only one with an office. An office with a permanently closed door

In a different building.

So he often sent his PA along to take minutes of this daily horror, which he would peruse at leisure and then issue imperious questions about maybe weeks later.

It was known as "Tea and Torture"

In a previous job a very crusty and strange senior type insisted, nay demanded, that his departmental minions gather, miserably, thus at 10.00 constantly citing "communication" and "promoting effective teamwork" as the reason.

He was the only one with an office. An office with a permanently closed door

In a different building.
It is strangely consistent that those people most keen on 'communication' and 'feedback' tend to go out of their way to avoid it themselves.

Blogg

LE
It is strangely consistent that those people most keen on 'communication' and 'feedback' tend to go out of their way to avoid it themselves.

Oh yes and sometimes for very worst reasons.

In current job a now departed uber boss came over from US to expressly address terrible UK and European results from a Staff Engagement survey, and what HR had flagged up to Board level as "burning platform" attrition rates in his division.

It went so well. Gathering the divisional management together in a terrible conference hotel he opened by telling them this was just not good enough and he only wanted to see really happy things from their people in future.

Just like he did in US!

HR knew very few staff actually completed those Surveys and they were all just so happy. Main reason given to external consultants then bought in to find out why so many did not complete were the very overt threats of collective punishments for negative responses and lumpy attempts to track down "offenders"

Staff engagement scores were, oddly enough in a scarce skill driven business, one of the key metrics in determining Promotion, Bonus and Stock Awards at his level.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you, and that is still going strong if they can get off there bloody iPhones... but yes still used for that reason, I was wondering about the timing. It makes huge sense with PT etc to be 10:00 but there may be more to it?
Because it was written on tablets of stone back when the Romans were in charge that NAAFI break is X Hrs - X Hrs XXX, and it makes sense that Principales have their break at the same time as the Munifexes.

Now go and bull your sandals or it's show parade at the Colosseum.

Toast? I thought it was pink wafer biscuits exercising The Great Thinkers these days?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Mornos.....

Little meat pies with tomato sauce on top and dim sum, taken with a cuppa on the Victoria Barracks balcony. One thing the Diggers do very well.

Has anyone else got an advert for marmalade insurance on this tea and toast thread?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Has anyone else got an advert for marmalade insurance on this tea and toast thread?

I've got oak frames direct and Nazi memorabilia. (unrelated adverts and businesses I believe)

Latest Threads