TDi vs normal aspirated

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by comedy dave, Dec 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mrs CD is planning to chop a citroen Picasso for a vw golf sdi 2.0 .

Never owned a n/a diesel .

Pros / cons of n/a diesel engine?

Does bigger displacement offset the smaller turbo engines?

2. Bugger all power in the higher revs, more bottom end torque.

3. Going from Citreon to VW is a wise move , turbo diesels tend to be 30 +% more powerful than N/As , n/a engines last longer generally as they dont get so hot under load ,less to go wrong as well , personally I preferred my 4.2 n/a Patrol to a 2.5 Disco Tdi .

4. Just moving on from a Citroen is enough.

5. Shite cars but good Diesel engines.

6. New or 2nd hand ?

If you're doing less than 16k miles per year, the petrol usually works out cheaper in the long run, Also, if the diesel is used for a lot of short'ish journeys, then the particulate filter (if there is one) will get shagged.

Check out Honest John's column in the online Telegraph - lots of stuff on diesel vs petrol on there. Also check the reviews on Parkers to see if any existing owners have had probs with the Golf

7. A turbocharged diesel engine will always be more thermally efficient (i.e. a greater percentage of the energy in the fuel is converted into motive power) due to a more efficient and complete combustion process. The turbocharged diesel version of the VW produces more power, less CO2 and has a better “official” mpg figure, unsurprisingly for a more powerful engine working less hard and more efficiently. There are other potential problems. The lower operating temperature of a NA engine means that the catalytic converter or CRT takes longer to “light up” on cold-start making the emissions dirtier on short journeys. Some modern oils are actually too slippery for a NA diesel and their use can result in bore glazing on a new engine; VW insist on a “lower” spec oil. Not a problem with main dealer servicing but could make top-up an issue. Personally, I can see little point in opting for a less efficient engine rather than driving a more efficient one more efficiently.