TDi vs normal aspirated

Mrs CD is planning to chop a citroen Picasso for a vw golf sdi 2.0 .

Never owned a n/a diesel .

Pros / cons of n/a diesel engine?

Does bigger displacement offset the smaller turbo engines?

Mrs CD is planning to chop a citroen Picasso for a vw golf sdi 2.0 .

Never owned a n/a diesel .

Pros / cons of n/a diesel engine?

Going from Citreon to VW is a wise move

Does bigger displacement offset the smaller turbo engines?
Going from Citreon to VW is a wise move , turbo diesels tend to be 30 +% more powerful than N/As , n/a engines last longer generally as they dont get so hot under load ,less to go wrong as well , personally I preferred my 4.2 n/a Patrol to a 2.5 Disco Tdi .

Just moving on from a Citroen is enough.

New or 2nd hand ?

If you're doing less than 16k miles per year, the petrol usually works out cheaper in the long run, Also, if the diesel is used for a lot of short'ish journeys, then the particulate filter (if there is one) will get shagged.

Check out Honest John's column in the online Telegraph - lots of stuff on diesel vs petrol on there. Also check the reviews on Parkers to see if any existing owners have had probs with the Golf

hank

War Hero
A turbocharged diesel engine will always be more thermally efficient (i.e. a greater percentage of the energy in the fuel is converted into motive power) due to a more efficient and complete combustion process. The turbocharged diesel version of the VW produces more power, less CO2 and has a better “official” mpg figure, unsurprisingly for a more powerful engine working less hard and more efficiently. There are other potential problems. The lower operating temperature of a NA engine means that the catalytic converter or CRT takes longer to “light up” on cold-start making the emissions dirtier on short journeys. Some modern oils are actually too slippery for a NA diesel and their use can result in bore glazing on a new engine; VW insist on a “lower” spec oil. Not a problem with main dealer servicing but could make top-up an issue. Personally, I can see little point in opting for a less efficient engine rather than driving a more efficient one more efficiently.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Moodybitch Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 17
Didosdadsdogsdead REME 12
Mag_to_grid Weapons, Equipment & Rations 4