TCB/RCB

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Guppy_two__zero, Jun 25, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Help....

I am just applying for TCB at the mo.

Do you have any advice as to what to expect or any good tactics/ideas/revision.

The advice from my OC was 'Be yourself" - great cheers boss ;D

2. Contact the Adjutant of University of London OTC and get yourself booked on their next Potential Officers Development Weekend. Great insight into the whole process.

3. Or if you live miles away from London contact the Adj of any local OTC  ;)

Most if not all run a practice TCB for POs from the units within their Bde.

Good luck!

4. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

A few of us covered commissions boards in some details. Click ON THIS LINK to see it.

5. Thats great thanks!

I will also get on with re-learning my:
    time X distance calc's,
    times tables,
    general knowledge,
    current afairs,
    etc etc etc etc  ;)

G20

6. :twisted: !! Result !!

Thanks for the advice.

7. I did it (RCB) t'other week, (passed!)...advice I'd pass on:

Maths: Mine is shocking, but I managed... learn the 6 times table as a priority (6 keeps cropping up)...others just basic knowledge....all the maths questions are simple as long as you think straight (i.e. 30 miles, 3mph etc!!! - remember someone on my briefing back in November got so worked up he couldn't think of 10 miles at 10 mph! - so stay calm!)

Group discussion CONTRIBUTE. they are not terribly interested in your ideas as long as they arn't absurd...just say something...

Leader command tasks...EXPLAIN the plan, and don't be scared to take advice... leaderless CONTRIBUTE but don't keep pressingh your idea at the expense of other peoples...you may see it as brilliant, but it may not be.

Interviews - absolute doddle

Planning ex - there is space for 5 or so plans SO FILL IT UP!! even if 3 of them are slight variations of each other (mine were), even if are blingingly obviously crap, it shows you have considered options and deduced the best on.

When quizzed about the planning ex, don't go changing your plan every 3 seconds when something comes to light that you've missed, just say 'ah...missed that' rather than stumbling on pretending you hadn't missed it. (digging out of hole et al..)

read a decent broadsheet every day (torygraph is good!), and you'll be sorted.

Oh, and get fit! :D

Good luck!

SJ

8. Did my TCB in '99. It was a piece of piss. Only problem being that it is a bit of a lottery.

A number of good candidates failed and some muppets passed - TACC028 showed where all the muppets go, and pass!

9. Hi,

My RCB brief is booked for Nov. At what point do they check/test your fitness, and what do they require you to do?

Cheers,

Spearmint Rhino

10. Stonk, did mine in 99 as well.

Seem to remember the World's Fattest PO who was trying for an Army Cadet Commission on my TCB, and a guy who was a Barrister, HAC and whose Father was big style Army. Very nice bloke, but no way was he ever going to fail :D

Wonder what he's up to now?

11. msr

msr LE

Stonk,

Which muppets are you refering to? Just concerned as I was on TACC028 too..

msrt

12. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

S-R

When I did mine a few years back the physical side of stuff was really just the 400m run (which can't have had much of an impact on my success!) and the individual assault course.

The main point of the latter is more to test your determination rather than skill; the obvious points being never give up and always dive head first through the open window obstacle!

13. Thanks Captain Crusty
    ---------------------------------------

14. Just a quick question.

On the RCB Main Board how much time are you given to attack the individual obstacle course?

Thanks again,
    SR

P.S. I passed the Briefing Cat 2(6) - 6 months to get fit!

15. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

Best advice possible, old chap!

In other words, relax and accept the outcome largely as an issue of fate, before you start. If you do, you are more likely to enjoy the experience. If you do that, you will appear at the most relaxed, happy and capable you can be, and your performance will reflect this!

These sage words were given to me and many other officers who were all successful. In turn, I passed them on to many soldiers who were subsequently commissioned.