Taxi for Jack Straw...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pyianno, Apr 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Jack Straw sued over illegal rendition of Abdel Hakim Belhadj - Telegraph

What a pity!

Bets on Straw pleading crown immunity and HM Government paying off the claimant with a non-disclosure clause?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I believe that mr Straw has no recollection of ordering a taxi......

3. PII Certificates are advisory and not binding - i.e. a judge can ignore them.

There really is no point in issuing one since surely the claimant can just run a repeat of Matrix-Churchill - i.e. get the responsible minister on oath and question him?

4. Yeah, right :roll:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just goes to show what happens when you put you signature to things. One thing the septics have a much better grasp of than us is "plausible deniability," wher you can go round and roun in circles for ever, trying to work out who authorised what and who knew what.

6. Dis-application of criminal law can only be authorised by Secretaries of State here though I think? So basically somebody in the cabinet has to put their signature down.

I'll be amazed if this ever gets anywhere near a criminal court. Although it was Straw who introduced criminal trials without the need for a jury!

7. Hmmm, we will see, good point though.......

Does anybody really think that one of our great and good political elite will ever tap the boards at the Bailey?

Moi a cynic.....non.

8. I note Chris Huhne's trial has been put back to October, when no doubt most people will have forgotten his name!

Of course Ken Clarke is going to use this as "evidence" as to why his secret trials are a good idea.

9. I don't think Huhne will be forgotten, the media will make sure of that, especially News International I would hazard a guess.
    Whether or not he will be found guilty or not might prove to be the biggest surprise, took a damnably long time to get charges laid in the first place. Preferential Treatment? You can bet your ARRSE it was.

As for Clarke, what a ******* disappointment, I used to think he was one of the OK ones.

(Just spotted the beast Harman on Sky news and I think I might vomit).

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Tony Blair's line that he cant remember was tried by Jack Straw initially. Until some chaps from MI6 turned up a few days later and asked if he remembered the documents they were showing him proving that he signed off the rendition (cant find a link I'm afraid). Let us hope the chaps have similar docs seen or signed by Blair.

This is worth watching if only for the slim chance Blair is hoisted before the beak due to this case or lying about the dodgy dossier and the murky death of Dr David Kelly. Not holding my breath but a slim chance is better than no chance at all.

11. Agree about Clarke - big surprise how bad he's turned out.

Harman is from another planet I am sure. It would be good to see Straw in the docks - I'd camp outside the court room to see that! Camp in a tent that is, not 'camp it up'.

12. Has Blair ever been questioned under oath? That would be a delight.

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

He gave evidence at the Chilcot enquiry a year or so ago. He hypnotised them, then deflected to the current Iran threat. It was a master-class in sliding out from under. Hate him or hate him, he's good.

"David Cameron and former prime ministers Gordon Brown and Tony Blair are all preparing to appear before
    the Leveson inquiry
    from the end of May, according to reports this weekend."
    Cameron, Blair and Brown to appear at Leveson inquiry, reports say | Media news | Journalism.co.uk

The slimy meets the toothless.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Not sure, I think he may have been questioned under caution over the honours corruption thing but slid away from any responsibility as is his wont.

If Straw gets the call to appear at No 1 Court maybe we could arrange an ARRSE City of London piss up.