Taxi For 3

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by ukdaytona, Dec 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

FURIOUS airmen last night branded as “muppets” three comrades accused of a drunken car theft in the Middle East.

The RAF Tornado crew went on a bender before attending a Justin Timberlake concert on a break from war game exercises.

But as they left the gig they “mistakenly” tried to get into a stretch limo belonging to the brother of the United Arab Emirates President, Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahyan.

Cops in the capital Abu Dhabi accused them of car theft and drink-driving and banged them up in jail for three days. They were released on Sunday.

Furious colleagues, who live in tents in Afghanistan and Iraq rather than staying in five-star hotels, said last night the trio should be left to “fester in jail”.

One pilot said: “Nice to know they have got the time to waste p***ing it up the wall whilst the rest of us are living in the desert.”

The trio have been ordered to remain in Abu Dhabi until facing trial next week.

The scandal has caused a diplomatic incident between Britain and the UAE.

Senior Foreign Office officials have had to issue a formal apology and the head of the RAF, Air Chief Marshal Sir Glen Torpy, was said last night to be “absolutely livid”.

Diplomats believe that the “Abu Dhabi Three” will be given heavy fines rather than imprisonment if convicted — but they face disciplinary action when they come home.They could face a court martial with the possibility of loss of rank or dismissal.

The men were part of an RAF team flying Tornado F3 jets in a major multi-national war games exercise.

They were not on flying duties the following day and were said to be swigging “copious” quantities of booze before the exclusive concert.

Last night the Ministry of Defence said in statement to The Sun: “The RAF can confirm that three off-duty personnel were arrested in Abu Dhabi on 6 December by local police in connection with an alleged incident.

“They were released on bail on 9 December.

“The RAF can also confirm that they were in Abu Dhabi on an air exercise with multi national forces.

“We expect our service personnel abroad to conduct themselves appropriately, taking into account local sensitivities and Foreign Office travel advice.

“We are unable to comment any further on this case or any administrative action that might be considered until the legal process has been concluded.”

Booze is freely available in the UAE — unlike in neighbouring Saudi Arabia.

While “high spirits” by young officers are usually dealt with by hefty fines to charity and extra duties, anything that results in police involvement, especially of a host nation overseas, is usually dealt with severely.

A senior RAF source said: “All personnel serving overseas are specifically briefed on local sensibilities and told that upsetting the host nation is the number one sin.

“We understand that there is no question of the men trying to steal a car — they were genuinely mistaken.”
  2. i have a mate who is over there will ask him all about it.
  3. Easy mistake to make. What is unforgivable, is attending a Justin Timberlake concert.
  4. For mistaken read swallied
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Easy mistake to make. These flyboys obviously thought it was THEIR limo come to pick them up.

As for Justin Timberlake!!! Dismiss them for that crime.
  6. agreed, back off a bit everyone. Its clear what happened here. Our three brave pilots left the venue, saw the presidents brother leave his car unattended and badly parked. So to save the face of the presidents brother, noticing that his limo was double parked, they helpfully moved it. Unfortunately, the driver was suffering from an inner ear infection, speech impediment and stomach virus at the time, causing him to lose his balance, drive the vehicle into a fountain, slurr the words "syuuoo fffaaaccckkinnngg rahhggg 'eeeaddds" and then throw up on the presidents brothers daughter.

a catalogue of unavoidable errors.
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Interestingly the 'pilot quoted' seems to be taken directly from PPrune
    Lazy c0ck Journo's

View Single Post
    Yesterday, 07:45 #4
    Instead of being 'just another number' I could order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Posts: 75 Nice to know they have got the time to waste p*ssing it up the wall whilst the rest of us are living in the desert. Time to chop the F3 fleet perhaps? with the eurofighter now doing Q, what EXACTLY do they do?

Happened for years and will always happen
    IIRC Harrier det in Spain where turfed out for fighting and being drunk before the second lot had even got on the Hercs at Wittering
  8. Crabs - don't you love 'em? Bet they complained that there were no towels in the cells, the soap was the wrong fragrance, and insisted on an upgrade .......
  9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Part of this story that annoys me is the:

"Furious colleagues, who live in tents in Afghanistan and Iraq rather than staying in five-star hotels, said last night the trio should be left to “fester in jail”.

One pilot said: “Nice to know they have got the time to waste p***ing it up the wall whilst the rest of us are living in the desert.”

If these quotes are true I presume that the 'pilot' in question will be abstaining from booze until all combat operations are over, and presumable all members of the press will abstain from booze in deference to colleagues of theirs who are deployed on dangerous jobs - no junkets over Xmas.

I am only too well aware that relatives, friends, colleagues and other service people who I don't know but who are never less my brothers and sisters are deployed and on combat operations. I will still be having the odd beer every now and again - I might even get hammered.

Why do the press feel the need to say (I don't believe that the quote in question is true or in context) that because there are combat operations going on the rest of us should behave like monks?

Of course their behaviour has let the side down and they have fasllen short of the values and standards but perhaps they too have recently been in combat, or are about to go into combat and we blowing off steam -
    perhaps the vermin from the press should think about that.

BTB what is a Justin Timberlake?

edited to add: I've just Googled "Justin Tmberlake". Apparently he is a metrosexual Beckham lookaliky crooner popular with the LGBT community. Utterly utterly Crab then.
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Usual scum non story with quotes lifted from the internet, hardly worthy of CA.
  11. Personally, I thought they were over-egging the pudding with 'RAF Tornado crew', 'bender' and 'Justin Timberlake' in the same sentance.
  12. Well I doubt that the RAF 3 will get much assistance from Mr Timberlake, I've just heard him on the radio and he was most unsympathetic; his words being, if I've got them right, "cry me a river".
  13. RAF pilots macho warriors or girlie men
    voluntary attending a timberlake concert girlie men :twisted:
  14. laughed my fakin balls with their heads
  15. I knew this was a WAH as soon as I read that some RAF were put up in tents...................who are they trying to kid :wink: