Taxi and private hire drivers to face enhanced checks

I thought some sort of criminal record was mandatory for non Black Cab drivers.
Apparently not the same throughout the country. The other trick was get a licence from a 'easy' authority and work anywhere. She was saying a lot of taxi driving abusing filth had theirs from Rossendale

A loose interpretation of the highway code is also a requirement.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Er, excuse me but who is going to carry out these checks:-?

Apparently not the same throughout the country. The other trick was get a licence from a 'easy' authority and work anywhere. She was saying a lot of taxi driving abusing filth had theirs from Rossendale
No doubt certain Labour and other leftist councils are a pushover for acquiring the appropriate licences from, especially if some sort of facilitating payment under the table is proffered.

I suspect there will be money to be made by either translating the form into whatever myriad of languages that are requested or more likely just filling it in once and using it for multiple identities, last time I did a disclosure it was all on-line, send in a photocopy of ID and a dodgy photo and its all done.

No doubt certain Labour and other leftist councils are a pushover for acquiring the appropriate licences from, especially if some sort of facilitating payment under the table is proffered.
You're either a Tory Councillor or you really need to get out more. Where they exist and I'll agree, corruption does take place in some quarters although I don't believe it's a widespread practice, local government officers who take bribes aren't particularly fussy about what political flavour their employer happens to be.

I believe one of the items on the agenda on taxi improvements is CCTV, compulsory fitted and tamperproof. Which could be a tad inconvenient for all parties.

One of the things that amazes me since returning the the UK after 8 years is the number of uber and taxi drivers in so many towns, what happened to buses or legs?

It’s a non story, all local government taxi licensing is subject to enhanced checks...
except they don't apparently (assuming it hasn't changed since 2017 of course)

In 2017, according to the Department of Transport, 85% of local authorities in England required potential taxi or private-hire drivers to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check for a criminal record as well as a check on whether they were on lists prohibiting them from working with children or vulnerable adults

I believe one of the items on the agenda on taxi improvements is CCTV, compulsory fitted and tamperproof. Which could be a tad inconvenient for all parties.

One of the things that amazes me since returning the the UK after 8 years is the number of uber and taxi drivers in so many towns, what happened to buses or legs?
legs had surgery and left the forces

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
It doesn’t really work like that - private hire, ie to the airport how much? Say from Cornwall to Heathrow (fixed price - no meter) is different to Taxi