Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Taxation in Cyprus

Do I take it then that with the UK taxing AF Pensions, the UK personal allowance still applies for those permanently resident in Cyprus?

Currently Cyprus is one of only a handful of countries to which you can choose to have your AFPS benefits transferred gross and be taxed under that country's tax rules. The situation for those who live abroad but are taxed in the UK is that a personal allowance applies. I can't see why those living in Cyprus but having their pensions taxed in UK should be different - I am sure that is how it currently works for those who live in Cyprus but choose to be taxed in UK.

Currently Cyprus is one of only a handful of countries to which you can choose to have your AFPS benefits transferred gross and be taxed under that country's tax rules. The situation for those who live abroad but are taxed in the UK is that a personal allowance applies. I can't see why those living in Cyprus but having their pensions taxed in UK should be different - I am sure that is how it currently works for those who live in Cyprus but choose to be taxed in UK.
I can see there being a problem if said AFCS recipient living in Cyprus and being taxed in Cyprus as they are working there thinks they are also entitled to a personal allowance in the UK when not living there. It seems very odd to me!