Tax Return

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by danny842003, Jan 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. There's a buzz going around work at the moment that you can get a tax return for travelling to and from work. Apparently (and these are just the rough figures quoted in this buzz) that you are entitled to an allowance of 40p per mile but the MOD only allows 20p for GYH.
    I don't know the ins and outs but I know company's are offering to do all the leg work for an upfront fee of £50. And apparently you can go back 6 years?
    I have heard about this before but I have never met anyone who has done it. Its always everyone in such and such unit did it. Or you remember Smudge that was here 2 months ago he did it.
    Just wondered if anyone on here had any experience with this rather dodgy sound scheme.
  2. You cannot claim it for HTD AFAIK but if you do any duty journeys during your working day and use your own vehicle then you can claim the tax on the difference between.

    So for every mile you travel the MOD pays you 0.25p, you can claim 20% of the difference between that and 40p so you get and extra 3p per mile.

    You need a list of your journeys including start and end postcodes as the tax office are likely to look into any backdated claims. From memory you need to get a P81 from your tax office.

    Hope it helps

    Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app
  3. Unless you're an MP, you can't claim on tax for travelling to and from work.
  4. you also have ot proove your insurance covers buisness use or you get given a £1000 fine for uninsured use of a motor vehicle not to mention 3 points on your licence and an infraction code on IN10, meaning your insurance jumps up 75% on renewal

    if your going ot try it make sure your paperwork is correct first or your just creating trouble for yourself...
  5. Technically the OP's rumours could be true.

    Other posters are correct when they state that you cannot claim any tax relief for 'ordinary commuting'. However, with our military posting system there are times when some of us will be deemed as other than 'orindary commuters'. Specifically ordinary commuting is to a 'permanent workplace'. For those issued with a 24 month or less assignment order it may be that they qualify as attending at a 'temporary workplace' in which case tax relief could be claimed.

    For example if you live in your own house and have served at one location for 3 years as an ordinary commuter attending a permanent workplace and are then assigned on a 24 month or less assignment and continue to 'commute' from your house you would qualify for tax reflief on every journey as you are attending a temporary workplace.

    Complex area and you would need to read the HMRC regulations very carefully before claiming. One link to assist:

  6. Im not doubting what you say but don't most insurance company's cover you to your place of work. So that must be to the place your are drafted. Im sure its not for business use as long as you are travelling to and from home to your primary place of work. So from work to course might be against insurance.
  7. for civi purposes yes but not for mil purposes, three was a specific tax law change sometime back around 02/03 that meant soldiers required to get buisness use cover on there motor in order to claim mma of any type, and its always been possible to claim mma for any journey (no matter the lenght) where a personal motor vehicle was used for official purposes, i once used my personal van to cart around stores which over a two week period racked up 2000 miles, the reason being my unit either had no vehicles (due to me not being best mates with the mto) still i had business cover and of course my boss was only too happy to sign off on the duty claim, now thres no posibility of claiming tax reliefe related to that duty claim however the need to replace the tyres or have repaired any damaged part of the vehicle

    its all within the regulations concerning the things, you must claim the correct relief (mma is paid at the duty rate higher than the tax allowance and is paid free of deductions or inclusions ) i think it was part of AGAI's vol 4 and also the jsp on fraud and false accounting within the public domain (was 668) but no doubt its all changed now....

    and yes i used to look up that kind of thing as a quality use of my time on duty phone op since it was better than going mad over a 12+ hour period waiting for something that never happened...