Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Tax relief if working from home due to COVID

I hadn't spotted this posted anywhere else.

HMRC have allowed anyone who had to work from home to claim tax relief for expenses. The only criteria are that you had to work from home due to COVID and your employer hasn't already made a contribution to your expenses.

The really good bit is that they will apply a £6 per week reduction in income tax retrospectively for the whole year. https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/...g-from-home-due-to-coronavirus--claim-p6-wk-/

And if you normally work from home, and you're employer does not provide expenses for working from home you should be claiming anyway every year

I hadn't spotted this posted anywhere else.

HMRC have allowed anyone who had to work from home to claim tax relief for expenses. The only criteria are that you had to work from home due to COVID and your employer hasn't already made a contribution to your expenses.

The really good bit is that they will apply a £6 per week reduction in income tax retrospectively for the whole year. https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/...g-from-home-due-to-coronavirus--claim-p6-wk-/

I hadn't heard about this until last week one of my eagle eyed colleagues spotted it on the Martin Lewis website - I've now claimed :)

not sure £6 pw covers rise in electricity and gas usage though......

I hadn't heard about this until last week one of my eagle eyed colleagues spotted it on the Martin Lewis website - I've now claimed :)

You can claim more if you can prove the increased cost, which may or may not be worth the faff

There may be negative implications of claiming tax relief as, if you designate part of your home as a workplace, you may become liable for capital gains tax if you sell your home. It is worth looking into before you claim tax relief.

Every little helps. The daughter sent me the link a few days ago. I applied online and it's now all set up. I've even got a bit of paperwork from one of my pensions with the amended figures on. Amazingly simple to do and very quick - NOT what I expected from HMG at all.
Probably not - but it'll help some people, especially when combined with not having to pay for commuting.
My daily commute was only a 4-5 mile round trip 3 days a week, so a gallon or so of diesel a month saved. The bigger saving is not buying lunch 3 days a week, so even without the tax saving, I reckon I'm up to £50 a month better off by working from home. Knock off a bit for extra electricity and lunch at home, say £400 a year in my pocket plus whatever the tax saving works out at.

Last edited:
Every little helps. The daughter sent me the link a few days ago. I applied online and it's now all set up. I've even got a bit of paperwork from one of my pensions with the amended figures on. Amazingly simple to do and very quick - NOT what I expected from HMG at all.
Indeed. The way I read it it sounded like £6 tax free per week which would have been over 300 quid.

Even if it is just removing a proportion of the tax that would be paid on that £6 that's still at least 60 quid for 5 minutes typing in some details, seems like a no-brainer to me.

Last edited:
My accountant last year added £520 for use of home and £360 for telephone as tax reliefs which I wasn't aware of.

In addition to that pleasant surprise working from home has been the best thing ever for me: no tedious commute, get far more done, and don't have to endure the poor personal hygiene and dark moods of others amongst many advantages.

It has also exposed a lot of bullshit. A huge number of people at every business don't actually do shit beyond playing politics and are freaking out over the fact that they'll no longer have a job anymore. You can't spread bullshit, rumours, gossip and undermine people so easily when everything is remote and more easily observable.

Literally the only people who want to go back to the office are:

Middle management: because working from home they realize they really are f*cking pointless
Assorted egotists and control freaks. A lot of managers need to feel in control and they want people to work in the office so they can micromanage and watch over them like hawks and they can't do that any more. HAHAHAHA!