Tax Relief for CSA payments??

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by regular_imbiber, Mar 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Does anyone know of such a thing? I spoke to a bloke (and he's AGC too) and he told me that he'd just received an average of 40 quid back per month for 5 years due to his CSA payments!!

    I quickly emailed the CSA in Liverpool asking about this but they chinned me off and referred me to HMRC. When I phoned HMRC today they fired me back to the CSA!!

    As we are the best represented occupation among the CSA "customers" I figure someone on here will know about this.

    I dont know who to ask next,CAB perhaps??
  2. No. Individuals who pay child support can not deduct the amount of child support paid from their total income for the purpose of adjusting their total taxable income. However, some individuals who pay child support may be able to count their children as dependents.
  3. BiscuitsAB

    BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

    hmm it used to be the case that you could claim tax relief on maintenance however it is my understanding that it went out the window nearly a decade ago. If anyone can prove me wrong I'd be most gratefull ;-)
  4. I'm certainly not aware of any tax relief available. Quite why anyone thinks they should get it is beyond me?
  5. I cant think why I should get it but if someone else does I feel its only right and proper that I should too!!
  6. I think they abolished tax relief on CSA payments in 2000.

    I've never heard of tax relief on CSA payts ever but tap it into the search bar in there and if it exists it'll be one their.

    Never ring HMRC as they have a virtual network of call centres that field queries staffed by mong and temps. Waste of time but nice earner for them on an 0845 number.
  8. Write to the taxman with a copy of your CSA assessment. I did this about 20 years ago and my tax code was adjusted so that I can earn more before I start paying tax.

    As it is a compulsory deduction, you are entitled to tax relief.
  9. The website states ...

    So, basically, you or your ex-partner have to be over 75, in order for you to qualify.