Tax Relief for CSA payments??

Does anyone know of such a thing? I spoke to a bloke (and he's AGC too) and he told me that he'd just received an average of 40 quid back per month for 5 years due to his CSA payments!!

I quickly emailed the CSA in Liverpool asking about this but they chinned me off and referred me to HMRC. When I phoned HMRC today they fired me back to the CSA!!

As we are the best represented occupation among the CSA "customers" I figure someone on here will know about this.

I dont know who to ask next,CAB perhaps??

No. Individuals who pay child support can not deduct the amount of child support paid from their total income for the purpose of adjusting their total taxable income. However, some individuals who pay child support may be able to count their children as dependents.

I'm certainly not aware of any tax relief available. Quite why anyone thinks they should get it is beyond me?

Does anyone know of such a thing? I spoke to a bloke (and he's AGC too) and he told me that he'd just received an average of 40 quid back per month for 5 years due to his CSA payments!!

I quickly emailed the CSA in Liverpool asking about this but they chinned me off and referred me to HMRC. When I phoned HMRC today they fired me back to the CSA!!

As we are the best represented occupation among the CSA "customers" I figure someone on here will know about this.

Directgov.com

I've never heard of tax relief on CSA payts ever but tap it into the search bar in there and if it exists it'll be one their.

Never ring HMRC as they have a virtual network of call centres that field queries staffed by mong and temps. Waste of time but nice earner for them on an 0845 number.

Write to the taxman with a copy of your CSA assessment. I did this about 20 years ago and my tax code was adjusted so that I can earn more before I start paying tax.

As it is a compulsory deduction, you are entitled to tax relief.

The direct.gov.uk website states ...

Who can get Maintenance Payments relief?
You can get Maintenance Payments relief if all of the following apply:

•you or your ex-spouse or former civil partner were born before 6 April 1935
•you're separated or divorced or the civil partnership has dissolved and you're making the payments under a Court Order
•the payments are for the maintenance of your ex-spouse or former civil partner (provided they aren't now remarried or in a new civil partnership) or for your children who are under 21
So, basically, you or your ex-partner have to be over 75, in order for you to qualify.