Tax Rebate For Doing My Washing

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by themonsstar, Jul 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is from a letter in the Finance Section of the Money Mail (Daily Mail) Wed 29th July 09

Maybe one of our payarrses can confirm this.

For years I have worked in a care home for the elderly. Like most people in such jobs, I was asked to wear a uniform, which I had to look after myself. It got dirty quickly, so sometimes I had to do a full load of washing a week, just for my uniforms.

It doesn't sound like a lot on its own, but it started to add up. Then I read that people who had to wear a uniform for their work are entitled to a tax break, if they have to wash their uniforms at home.

Employees should be told about their rules by their employers. But what when I tackled the care home, they wouldn't do anything about it.

So I wrote to HM revenue and Customs. I told them my name address and national insurance number. They wrote back asking for more details about my employer and how long I worked there. Then I got a £70 tax rebate.

It was so easy they also altered my tax code so i got an allowance every year.

My question is, if this is correct does it also applied to Armed forces?

2. If i remember right it applys to the navy and not the army. As there is 'supposidly' a system in place for the army to get there kit washed. Although nobody uses it, if i remember correctly.

3. this comes round more often than the bloody Starbucks story!

You can take your uniforms to the QMs, they have a contract with a Laundry company (including a dry cleaning service), it may take forever to get your kit back, but the system is in place. Other places supply washing machines in the blocks/messes either free or at a subsidised price.