Tax Question (Yawn.)


Basically, I'm Filling in a P46 form.

There are 3 options.

A - This is my first job since last 6 April and I HAVE NOT been receiving taxable Jobseeker's Allowance or taxable Incapacity Benefit or a state or occupational pension.

B - This is now my only job, but since last 6th April I HAVE had another job, or have received taxable Jobseeker's Allowance or taxable Incapacity Benefit. I DO NOT receive a state or occupational pension.

C - I have another job or receive a state or occupational pension.

Normally, I'd be ticking B - That's what applies.

Problem is, I'm TA, and, as such, get paid (apparently). - Does this count as "having another job?"

I also (obviously) pay PAYE tax on the TA pay I receive.


Do I have to tick box C?

Will ticking box C mean I pay more tax through my civvy job, than ticking box B?


Yes, you have to tick box C. The TA is 'another job'.

This shouldn't mean you pay more tax. TA pay is already taxed at the basic marginal rate, i.e. without any tax allowance - they assume you have already used that up in any first job.

In your (new?) civvy job you should pay the correct tax, which will take into account your personal allowance. Because you only pay 20% on everything over this, the effect is that you pay less than 20% overall. It's important not to miss out on this and as long as you haven't underpaid in previous years your tax code should make sure you don't.

Perhaps you could request a 'Coding Notice'? If not you will see your code on your next wage slip.
Thanks for the reply.

I know what my tax code is currently, however, when I moved to my last job, simply giving them the code was not good enough. All had to be done through HMRC et al, and I ended up on emergency tax longer than I should have been.


Similar threads

Latest Threads