Tax Question (Double yawn.)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by PTS265, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Also posted under "finance".

Righty,

Basically, I'm Filling in a P46 form.

There are 3 options.

A - This is my first job since last 6 April and I HAVE NOT been receiving taxable Jobseeker's Allowance or taxable Incapacity Benefit or a state or occupational pension.

B - This is now my only job, but since last 6th April I HAVE had another job, or have received taxable Jobseeker's Allowance or taxable Incapacity Benefit. I DO NOT receive a state or occupational pension.

C - I have another job or receive a state or occupational pension.

Normally, I'd be ticking B - That's what applies.

Problem is, I'm TA, and, as such, get paid (apparently). - Does this count as "having another job?"

I also (obviously) pay PAYE tax on the TA pay I receive.

Questions:

Do I have to tick box C?

Will ticking box C mean I pay more tax through my civvy job, than ticking box B?

TIA,

PTS265

2. You tick B as TA pay is unreliable and dependent on you turning up.
    TA doesn’t count as a proper job as far as your p46 is concerned.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

When you are in the T.A. and employed elsewhere, you only get tax relief (your tax code) on the main job.

You don't on any other employment - it gets taxed with no perks.

Thus, you will nominate one of the two jobs as your 'main employment' and the other as the lesser.

As for which one to nominate as the main job, I'm not sure, but usually the one that pays the most.

If you don't declare all paid employment, for instance if you are self employed, then you could be done for tax evasion.

Being in full time PAYE employment, and being PAYE with the T.A. will/should mean it's all declared for you anyway, because the T.A. will pay towards your own Tax record.