Tax Free UK Cars for France

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by stevedubs, Jul 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi there,
    Can somebody please help me - I am posted to France and am buying a tax-free car.
    As its not an established place such as BFG or Cyprus, I am getting bamboozled by the HMRC regs and the like.

    Has anybody bought a tax free car and exported to France?

    I know I get the VX302 from the DVLA which I must hand in on export to prove i have left, it is the French side which is confusing.

    Must I register the car in France to be tax free? What do I need to produce to show I am tax free to get a Customs Certificate C846A? Am I liable for tax in France or am I tax free as military forces?


  2. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

    The only suggestion I can think of is to try and get in touch with the dealers that do diplomatic sales, there must be some who deal with the Strasbourg EU diplomatic circus.
  3. Good idea, ask nicely, get them on your side and get info or at least another lead for info.
    Sounds a good posting. In another life that's what I may have been doing. Hope it goes well.
  4. It depends on what you're doing and under which MOU you'll be covered. A simple UK/Fr exchange post is unlikely to permit tax-free/duty-free concessions, whereas an EUMS/NATO posting is.

    There is no reason why a bog-standard UK national going to live in France should bennefit from tax concessions. Vive le EU.

    Talk to J1 at your receiving unit to determine the status.
  5. If you have diplomatic status then you are entitled to tax free. If ELO post then no. PM incoming.
  6. You may catch the last train to London though. It's just leaving now.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I see what you did there :)