Tax Free 'Medical Discharge' Pension - Tax deducted from Personal Allowance

Snookie

Old-Salt
Hi - an update. I managed to get through to HMRC on the phone and they, as ever, were very helpful. I was put through to a technician and he identified that my SIP had been listed as my primary income (it is not) and even though I do not pay any tax on it, it was being counted against my Personal Allowance. Landing on my door mat today is an amended Tax Coding Notice. My salary from my CS role is now my main income and my 'Paymaster' SIP entry the correct tax code of NT is listed, along with 'This Income is Tax Free' and no deductions are made against my Personal Allowance. In the call they suggested that I ring after the start of the new FY just to confirm that switch remains in place.

Net effect: my PAYE deductions have dropped (by quite a bit) and I will get a nice, fat refund at the end of this FY.

Five Star endorsement to HMRC!
Glad you got it sorted mate.

Glad you got it sorted mate.
I've always found IRD and now HMRC very helpful over the years, and they are very understanding of service personnel and our circumstances (like trying to set up a government gateway account when serving overseas). I only needed to explain once about getting a refund once my 'medical' pension was adjudged tax free; and they are very quick at turning matters around.

It's occasions like this I really do think we don't realise how lucky we are to have such decent, hardworking civil servants. Now the DVLA, on the other hand...6 months to get a provisional licence for our daughter...

2000AD

War Hero
Just recieved my tax code letter, theyd switched the married tax allowance to my SIP, changed the tax code from NT to a new rate, changed my tax rate on my main income. I think it all got buggered up as I've takdn on an additional weekend HGV job. On the phone to HMRC for 45 minutes to an advisor but no Tech staff around to switch pension back to NT. Waiting a callback by 20th of Feb for an update. I suspect that as normal there will be the usuall round of many people affected. I seem to go through these discussions around every 5 years.

You'd think they'd have a marker to not mess with it against your records so it did'nt keep happening, or is that just too sensible?

Just recieved my tax code letter, theyd switched the married tax allowance to my SIP, changed the tax code from NT to a new rate, changed my tax rate on my main income. I think it all got buggered up as I've takdn on an additional weekend HGV job. On the phone to HMRC for 45 minutes to an advisor but no Tech staff around to switch pension back to NT. Waiting a callback by 20th of Feb for an update. I suspect that as normal there will be the usuall round of many people affected. I seem to go through these discussions around every 5 years.

You'd think they'd have a marker to not mess with it against your records so it did'nt keep happening, or is that just too sensible?
Similar to what happened to me but it was put right quickly and I've just received an eye-wateringly large refund from HMRC.