Tax Free Cars From Cyprus?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by redcrossrupert, Dec 14, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone let me know the rules regarding buying a taxfree car while posted in Cyprus?

There is no intention to make a profit, purely to buy a decent car while there. I've looked at the inland revenue website among others, and it's not very clear.

Many thanks.

2. Sweetheart

Thanks for that. It doesn't really explain what the actual rules are though. For example, can anyone answer the following questions:

1. How long do you have to be overseas for?
    2. Does the car itself have to be overseas for a minimum amount of time?
    3. I believe you have to own the car for at least one year?
    4. Are the rules different for Cyprus as for Germany? My understanding is that in Germany the purchase of tax-free cars is covered by the SOFA (State of Forces Agreement)? Also, Cyprus is not in the EU.
    5. Do you have to buy the car overseas, or can you buy a UK car and immediately take it abroad?

Many thanks if anyone knows the answer to all of this.

3. I can only give you some of these answer's based on when i was posted out in cyprus but hopfully it maybe of some use to you. You can buy a tax-free car in UK then ship it out to cyprus but this can be a pain not only with shipping it out there (either by container or by ferry) not only will many insurence companies not touch you with a barge pole but at the other end it could take a frustrating amount of time to get your vehicle released by cyp customs.

As far as i know you are supposed to own your car for six months before shipping it back to UK and most have a milage of at least a 1000km's.

As for the Tax free status being the same as Germany all i can tell you is there are various documents to be filled out and submitted all these were done though a camp admin office.

The rest of information is helpfull for when you buy and ship the car back,

1. Make sure that when ordering a car out there you specify that it must conform to uk spec (ie E2 markings on documents also found on car door windows) as alot of car's have made there way from the far east very tempting prices but may get inpounded by uk customs for not meeting saftey standards or a nightmare to get certain spare parts.

2. When importing a car back to UK there are a few way's to ship your car back to UK, you can ship it back to a UK port but also you can enter a monthly draw to indulge your car back on a herc you can only enter this draw once though during your tour. There are also several resupply RFA ships that dock in Cyp each year and you car also sometimes ship your car back with them. And you can also get friendly with the movers who are very helpful at RAF Akortiri (a case a Keo lager help's)

3. If you do indulge your car back on a Herc to Lyneham there is a garage called Sawmills who provde an excellant service in that they will collect your car for you completing all the custom's work , register the car for and sort your uk plates for you give the car a full valet, charge the battery(as this gets disconected during transit), tax your car and have someone to meet you off your flight at Brize Norton to hand you your imported car good to go with all paper work done ready for you to drive straight away with a full tank of petrol so you can spend your leave doing other thing's rather than spending half of it in your local DVLA office.

4. NAAFI will insure your car for transit but as usual they are a bit on the expensive side

Goodluck hope this is of some help to you.

4. I can only give you some of these answer's based on when i was posted out in cyprus but hopfully it maybe of some use to you. You can buy a tax-free car in UK then ship it out to cyprus but this can be a pain not only with shipping it out there (either by container or by ferry) not only will many insurence companies not touch you with a barge pole but at the other end it could take a frustrating amount of time to get your vehicle released by cyp customs.

As far as i know you are supposed to own your car for six months before shipping it back to UK and most have a milage of at least a 1000km's.

As for the Tax free status being the same as Germany all i can tell you is there are various documents to be filled out and submitted all these were done though a camp admin office.

The rest of information is helpfull for when you buy and ship the car back,

1. Make sure that when ordering a car out there you specify that it must conform to uk spec (ie E2 markings on documents also found on car door windows) as alot of car's have made there way from the far east very tempting prices but may get inpounded by uk customs for not meeting saftey standards or a nightmare to get certain spare parts.

2. When importing a car back to UK there are a few way's to ship your car back to UK, you can ship it back to a UK port but also you can enter a monthly draw to indulge your car back on a herc you can only enter this draw once though during your tour. There are also several resupply RFA ships that dock in Cyp each year and you car also sometimes ship your car back with them. And you can also get friendly with the movers who are very helpful at RAF Akortiri (a case a Keo lager help's)

3. If you do indulge your car back on a Herc to Lyneham there is a garage called Sawmills who provde an excellant service in that they will collect your car for you completing all the custom's work , register the car for and sort your uk plates for you give the car a full valet, charge the battery(as this gets disconected during transit), tax your car and have someone to meet you off your flight at Brize Norton to hand you your imported car good to go with all paper work done ready for you to drive straight away with a full tank of petrol so you can spend your leave doing other thing's rather than spending half of it in your local DVLA office.

4. NAAFI will insure your car for transit but as usual they are a bit on the expensive side

Goodluck hope this is of some help to you.

5. Got back from Cyprus a year ago.

There are only a few problems with buying a car out there.

The main being the choice is limited to Toyota, Peugeot, Land Rover, Honda, Suzuki, Rover & a few others.

When budgeting your buy remember the cost of bringing it back to the UK. To crate & send back plus UK plates etc costs around 700 sterling. The cheapest option is to indulge it back with the RAF & pay 200 ish for plates etc.

You use to be able to drive back but the Greeks & Italians are getting a little funny over tax free bits & bobs & have been known to charge there equivalent of VAT.

Otherwise enjoy your sun shine tour I did & didnt want to come back.

6. Rupert, does that cover your questions? If you have any outstanding issues, let me know and I'll try to find the answers.

7. That's great.

Many thanks everyone.

8. Just an extra thought for people.

I brought a "new car" in Cyprus in '97. It was one of those sales of end of line models so you are aware that like in England it could of being sitting in a field however I was told it was made in '96 but would be registered as you would expect from the day of pruchase i.e '97 plates.

However when I imported the car and registerd at home I was informed that when the car was exported for sale to Cyprus that was classed as date it would be given as registration in England, if it ever returned as far as they were concerend the export was their sale !! so my Cyprus reg car for '97 was demoted straight away to a '94 now losing more than what I thought I'd saved on a tax free car especially with the 500 pound cost off getting it home.

I complained to the dealer in Cyprus about the date it said on my paperwork and the coversation about the dates.

He denied the conversation and said the docs was a misprint !!! After seeing a lawyer in I was informed that the consumer rights we are used to dont exist in Cyprus and the dealers word would proberly be taken, with the cost of flights etc I decided not to throw good money after bad and tried to get as most satisfaction via a couple of irate phone calls.

:(

9. Why not try speaking to HM Customs direct in Cyprus..it may be some time since I was there but there always used to be a custom's robber.......erm freudian slip :oops: Officer on one of the SBA's :)

10. Depends on the vehicle make and model as to how much you pay.

Bying a car in the UK tax free is better but you have to ship/drive there and ship/drive back.When you consider thhat the cost of shipping is close to 2000 quid. Its your choice.

What you CAN do and I did, buy there is a what is termed a grey import. That is a vehicle that was not built to E.U conformity.

Any of the Japanese makes are good. The Cypriot dealers "Andys" for example buy these to sell to you. Except they are not actually made in Japan but in other far east countries.Singapore or Tiwan for the local market. This is good as they are right hand drive. This can also be very bad as some do not conform to E.U/ U.K regs.

Boy racers buying sports cars can find themselves with big losses if they try to import these to the U.K. No cat for one, KM not miles on the speedo ,lights,fog lights and believe it or not mirrors do not conform to the UK /EU specs.

The good thing is any diesel vehicle, the bigger 4x4's are good.

You can buy a top end diesel Mitsubishi for half price , pay 200 cyp pounds for the speedo, light, mirror conversion and bob's your uncle.
    Return to the UK , get a certificate of conformity and your away.

As to all those who have shipped theirs back, speak to your Admin office about "own way travel"(OWT). If you write to you new C.O. informing him of you intention to drive to "any"new post. Then write to you existing C.O. requesting permission for OWT -If it is granted then you can drive to the new post. On arriving claim for the cost of "your" flight and I think half of any family member. Up to a max of about 250 quid, offset this against the shipping fees and have a good holiday down through europe to boot. The Greeks and Italians I had to deal with were no problem at all.

Word of caution. if you intend to keep the Grey vehicle -parts in the UK are expensive as the vehicle has a different spec - "Andys" will promise to ship them to you "My friend" - until you pull out of Limassol harbour.

11. Depends on the vehicle make and model as to how much you pay.

Bying a car in the UK tax free is better but you have to ship/drive there and ship/drive back.When you consider thhat the cost of shipping is close to 2000 quid. Its your choice.

What you CAN do and I did, buy there is a what is termed a grey import. That is a vehicle that was not built to E.U conformity.

Any of the Japanese makes are good. The Cypriot dealers "Andys" for example buy these to sell to you. Except they are not actually made in Japan but in other far east countries.Singapore or Tiwan for the local market. This is good as they are right hand drive. This can also be very bad as some do not conform to E.U/ U.K regs.

Boy racers buying sports cars can find themselves with big losses if they try to import these to the U.K. No cat for one, KM not miles on the speedo ,lights,fog lights and believe it or not mirrors do not conform to the UK /EU specs.

The good thing is any diesel vehicle, the bigger 4x4's are good.

You can buy a top end diesel Mitsubishi for half price , pay 200 cyp pounds for the speedo, light, mirror conversion and bob's your uncle.
    Return to the UK , get a certificate of conformity and your away.

As to all those who have shipped theirs back, speak to your Admin office about "own way travel"(OWT). If you write to you new C.O. informing him of you intention to drive to "any"new post. Then write to you existing C.O. requesting permission for OWT -If it is granted then you can drive to the new post. On arriving claim for the cost of "your" flight and I think half of any family member. Up to a max of about 250 quid, offset this against the shipping fees and have a good holiday down through europe to boot. The Greeks and Italians I had to deal with were no problem at all.

Word of caution. if you intend to keep the Grey vehicle -parts in the UK are expensive as the vehicle has a different spec - "Andys" will promise to ship them to you "My friend" - until you pull out of Limassol harbour.