Tawianese employer done for forced porkies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Raven2008, May 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sounds like a bully got her just desserts.

2. "Asked" to work 7am to midnight but "forced" to eat pork? They put up with violating one of their basic religious requirements for 7 months then solve the problem by writing a letter of complaint?

I'd wonder if there was more to the story than meets the eye, but given it's the Taipei Times I'm more given to wondering how they'll manage to blame the KMT for it.

3. 'I'd wonder if there was more to the story than meets the eye"

Yeah a Pork Sword injection !

john

4. Pork? Bloody luxury! At 't mill, all we got was 'andful of freezin' cold gravel.

5. Who squealed?

6. There are quite a few "slaves" working in Taiwan. Many of the smaller hotels there have Filipino, or other nationality staff who are deeply in debt to the employment agency for getting them the job, The employer (who usually pays a pittance) deducts the agency's cut from the workers salary and the workers often have to work for a year or more with virtually no salary. They have no rights and often have to work a 14 to 18 hour day - and the employer keeps their passport until they have worked for a minimum period of 12 to 24 months.

7. Slavery in this day and age NEVER !

john
    Oh I did 9 years in Mid East so I do know.

8. 'Slavery' was done away with in Victorian times - so they introduced 'indenturing' instead.

It's this ability to innovate that will be the salvation of the business world.