• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Tavor Assault Rifle — Israels new Infantry weapon?

ObnoxiousJockGit said:
The user can change which side it fires from without recourse to an armourer.

Granted, a slight improvement over SA80, but you should be able to fire your weapon from either shoulder without having to strip and re-assemble. Firing a right handed only weapon around the left side of a piece of cover is impossible without exposing your whole body. Ditto for a left handed only weapon being fired around the right side of cover. You really notice this in FIBUA. Take note that the M16/M4 family of weapons can be used freely from either shoulder.

SLR

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Just watched the video posted and the micro Tavor looked interesting. From looking at the site it appears that with a wave of a magic wand it can convert from 5.56 to 9mm. Not sure why that is useful, but seems pretty cool.

ObnoxiousJockGit said:
There is a video on the IWI site (25.4 Mb).
Wow! A good video! Much better then what I posted! Thanks!

Tartan_Ninja said:
Would be nice to hear what the IDF think about it rather than a sales pitch!
I dont think many units are equipped with it, due to expense and cheaper supply of US hardware. From what I have heard, it is well liked by it's user, but there again it could be poular as it is a sought after item so to speak, special and new.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Arik said:
Tartan_Ninja said:
I dont think many units are equipped with it, due to expense and cheaper supply of US hardware. From what I have heard, it is well liked by it's user, but there again it could be poular as it is a sought after item so to speak, special and new.
Sounds strangely familiar - everyone and their dog wanted their mitts on SA80's when they first emerged.

Cutaway said:
Arik said:
Tartan_Ninja said:
Sounds strangely familiar - everyone and their dog wanted their mitts on SA80's when they first emerged.
Well both weapons are more pleasing to the eye and the photograph than their predecessors! :lol:

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Watch out Arik, people rather liked the L1A1/SLR. I recall people smiling at the changes in drill when the L85A1/SA80 came in...

Talking about Gucci, I have an image in my head of a soldier patrolling with an SLR with its stock rested on hip. Strong image.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Er, yeah. Cheers for that mate.

Mind the door doesn't smack you on the arse.

Tavor was selected as the official new IDF infantry rifle a while ago, but as mentioned earlier, costs are affecting the bulk purchase.

They apparently are going to take an unusual approach to fielding. In most armies, the newest, shiniest weapons tend to go to the elite units first. Not so in this case. To avoid having to have personnel 'retrain themselves' in the use of the Tavor, they're issueing the new rifle to new recruits. That way, they don't have to deal with the issues of unfamiliar centres of balance, or new reloading or manipulation techniques. And it also deals with the issue of grizzled old vets just not liking those new-fangled things. Since it uses M-16 ammunition and magazines, it's not such a drain on the supply system.

NTM

ObnoxiousJockGit said:
The user can change which side it fires from without recourse to an armourer.
When SA80 was introduced, at least one publication reported that it was the ONLY bullpup weapon introdcuced to military service anywhere in the world that could not be converted, by the firer, for left-handed firing.

Conversion kits were designed, but as a ££-saving expedient, to keep the project in budget, their purchase was "postponed", after the ITDU at Warminster had run a trial that "proved" that cack-handers could, with a moderate degree of extra practice, achieve minimum APWT pass standards with the weapon.

I knew a sniper once, who as a southpaw, could only just pass his APWT with SA80.

Fcuking brilliant decision: a rifle that actually makes soldiers less effective!

check the net for more info - it's got a snazzy 'red dot' sight aiming system- put the dot on the target , which shows up as a tennis ball size circle,and you hit it (after finding your POA of course) the sight is also part of the weapon's body so does not lose zero - saw it on some sky doc last week, an ex navy seal took one on the range and was hitting fig 12s at 300 metres from the standing position. It's designed for ease of use from an APC and all those little lanes and alleys of a typical 'arabim' village - but does have the danger that the old smg had i.e. easy to point in the wrong feckin direction! ...there was a bit more info but i don't want to bore the shite out of ya.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I suffered with being sinister and still do - I could do my musket drills right handed but couldn't fire for siht that way unless you were a very fat target and under 50m away. I found I used to change hands for mag changes and stoppages as it was quicker. missing the tipof my right trigger finger didn't help.

come the sa80 (sa90 when they tried to make it sound newer) and still cant shoot for siht unless using the lsw as semi auto so blagged my way onto the l96 (with a bit of poetic licence) - I reckon they should have made a left handed version or at least one we could swap over (extra fiver or so a weapon according my sources in the early days) and then issued 2 cack handers per section for fibua so they can fire around the other corners.

I wonder if the (insert name of insurgent group here) have realised that the brit army can only attack in an anti clockwise direction.

nice looking mag catch on that though, decent cocking position and I always like a bipod.

Having fired the G36 with red dot sight fitted, its ok a short range, takes some getting used to "looking through" the weapon so to speak. Saw that documentary as well, it did look impressive the ranges which that ex-seal boke was hitting targets.

how the '80 should of been when first released!

Bring back the buffalo gun for our guys playing in the sand box, they need the extra stopping power and reach, even though the newbies will probably put their shoulders out!

Nehustan = I have an image in my head of a soldier patrolling with an SLR with its stock rested on hip. Strong image.

no sh1t, Iconic imagery